Big problem with my computer graphics! flicker!

skysurfer 13:36 03 Mar 05

Hello Guys,

I have a quite big frustrating and very long lasting problem with my computer. It's over a year now after changing everything in my computer, which was previously a intel p4 with 3.2ghz, ati 9800xt, 1gb samsung ram, 390W psu, intel i865 perl chipset and a 19" crt and now is a amd 3800+, abit av8 board, 500W psu, sapphire x800 pro, 1gb samsung ram and 120gb sata + 80gb ata drives and creative sb 5.1 soundcard.

Well, i could write books about what i have already done and where nobody could help me. Though i just dont want to give it up.

The problem itself is as follows;
+ flicker and unsharp display of every kind of movements on the screen.
+ also visible on a TFT screen, as well as on alternative CRT screen
+ low performance and unsharp, doubling display of pics and graphics on bigger websites when scrolling.
+ unsharp and flickery in every kind of game when something is moveing.
+ low speed slears when moving a windows task with the mouse. Only over the moved space.
+ slight difference when changing screen refreshrate. Higher refreshrate leads to low frequent sleers, low refreshrate leads to flicker/stuttering instead of sleers.

I really dont know what else i could do anymore. Tried every kind of drivers and formatted my disk at least 20 times a year. What may be interesting for you is that this "flicker" also appears in "knoppix", so i guess its not a software problem.

3 month ago, i made a very funny observation. I used a small program which checks the refreshrate called "flimmer.exe"
Look here and try it yourself;
click here

It always shows a frequency of 73-74hz, no matter what is actually set and running on the screen. When I force the refreshrate to 74hz in directx or something, the sleers turn over into stutters again.

As wierd as it sounds! Something is seem to overlap here.

Here a screenshot; (currently, i have the standard drivers for the monitor, but i tried serveral others with no luck.)

click here

click here

Anyone has an idea? I would really like to solve it after over a year.

sorry for my english,
regards,
Manuel

Yoda Knight 13:39 03 Mar 05

knoppix.... take it ur using linux then ?

Jeffers22 14:21 03 Mar 05

Electro magnetic interference of some sort? Do you have a pair of unshielded speakers anywhere near the monitor? Is there another piece of equipment close by that could be pumping out interference? (Either yours or perhaps a power line/transformer/transmitter in the near neighbourhood?)

skysurfer 15:29 03 Mar 05

take it ur using linux then ?

no im using windows xp home at the moment. tried english and german version over the year. also the pro version.

Electro magnetic interference of some sort?

Well, thought about it. But if, then it must be in the computer itself. Cause I brought it to a technican, other place in my town, and it was only the case.. All pheriphials were there and not mine. Have logitch 5.1 speakers, but i think i removed them once to test.

Do you have a pair of unshielded speakers anywhere near the monitor?

I have speakers, but i removed them to test, also the soundcard and other cards not required.
I even tried to get into my cellar with the computer.

Is there another piece of equipment close by that could be pumping out interference?

There is only my 6x power supply behind my desk.

(Either yours or perhaps a power line/transformer/transmitter in the near neighbourhood?)

I already called someone last year, to test my electical frequencies and the ground line. Everything very stable and a good ground.

There are some handy masts in the vicinity, also a small transformer, but i guess its not the cause when it not even works at other places in town.

Even tried a extra shielded monitor cable with a TFT and a monitor switch in between with the CRT.
The problem shows up also when using DVI port at my graphics card.

i know this one is crap... I should call a priest to clear my pc of daemons. ;)

regards

gudgulf 16:02 03 Mar 05

You say you have tried all manner of different drivers for the monitor.I'm assuming you mean ATI graphics card drivers because your screenshots show "default monitor" instead of listing the model.It may not make any difference but the generic windows drivers don't work properly with all monitors.Have you got any drivers for your specific make and model of monitor.Same thing for the motherboard/chipset drivers and is DirectX up to date (9.0c)?

I tried the monitor refresh rate tool on both of my home computers.Would you like to guess what the result was?...........both running at 74Hz.Maybe that little test is misleading!

skysurfer 17:38 03 Mar 05

>"default monitor" instead of listing the model

yeah, i know .. but i tried with drivers also. No change.

>.Same thing for the motherboard/chipset drivers and is DirectX up to date (9.0c)?

everything up to date.

i may add, that the effect is much much much slower with no drivers installed and on a clean windows installation.

>both running at 74Hz
thats interesting.. so i guess that is really misleading in this case.

thx for your help till now people..

thx for your help people,

Jaymz87 17:46 03 Mar 05

It may sound simple, and you may have already tried it, but what about changing the monitor. One of my old monitors used to flicker constantly, tried everything to sort it out (changing resolution, refresh rate, drivers etc) but in the end, I just bought a new monitor and that was fine.

skysurfer 09:26 06 Mar 05

thats not the solve. The monitor itself doesnt flicker. But it is from the computer hardware or software. I really tried serveral monitors already.

thx though

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…