big problem

GBL 16:29 23 Nov 06

I know before anyone says it I have been a bit daft.
I reinstalled Win XP pro, it asked me if I wanted to replace the current copy which was corrept, so I went ahead. Thinking vthat ALL my installed programs and files etc would be still there to access, as I did not do a format.
But they have all disappeared, are they lost forever or can they be recovered. Mainly I want my pictures the rest is not as important.

VoG II 16:31 23 Nov 06

You could try Drive Rescue click here - run it from a different drive, e.g. a floppy.

GBL 08:57 24 Nov 06

Thanks, that worked, but how do I get to see the contents of both Outlook and Outlook Express that were already installed but now hidden??

Also how do I get my keyboard to display the @ sign in the right place I now hove it above the number 2 and the " where the @ sign is.

Technotiger 08:59 24 Nov 06

Keyboard - you can reset to English by going to Control Panel>Keyboard

Cheers

VoG II 08:59 24 Nov 06

For Outlook Express you need to look for .dbx files; for Outlook a .pst file.

For the keyboard, Control Panel, Regional and Language Options, Languages tab, details button, set Keyboard to United Kingdom.

Technotiger 09:00 24 Nov 06

Also have you tried a System Restore?

GBL 09:40 24 Nov 06

Can only do a system restore from today, the keyboard settings are correct but still got the problem.

All the programs etc are still there somewhere I did not format just over wrote the operating system.

daxian 10:41 24 Nov 06

you will need to remove keyboard u.s. as it is set to default .......
as for the programs, if they are still there then goto the respective folders for each and run from there or create a short cut and place on the desktop.....hope this helps...Dave

GBL 10:51 24 Nov 06

The keyboard has now been sorted, I didn't realise that it needed a reboot.

The problem is that the main files I would like recovering are in Outlook and Outlook Express, but I can only get axcess to the current version not the old one.
I am trying another file recovery program if that fails then I will forget it.

Thanks to all so far.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…