big prob wiv xp! cant open folders!

shadow_v 23:50 30 May 04

other day turned on comp after uninstalling software for nokia phone connection and got some error msg bout kernel, and now i cannot open any folders or my comp without error report bout explorer. the thing is i opened up a folder a little while ago to listen to some music so nebody know wots going on..........

hugh-265156 00:05 31 May 04

can you post any errors displayed please?

have you tried system restore?

woodchip 00:07 31 May 04

Try going back to a restore point

shadow_v 03:15 31 May 04

Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

error signiture
AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2800.1106 ModName: shell32.dll
ModVer: 6.0.2800.1233 Offset: 001c7e3c

the following will be included in this error report:C:\DOCUME~1\Luke\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER1D.tmp.dir00\appcompat.txt

Fruit Bat 16:49 31 May 04

looks like you have a virus, any file that has two extensions is very suspicious, inyour case wierd.tmp.dir00

click here for AVG antivirus if you haven't got your own.

Also run a spyware cleaner click here

VoG II 16:54 31 May 04

C:\DOCUME~1\Luke\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER1D.tmp.dir00\appcompat.txt

sounds like a Windows Minidump file to me, not a virus.

hugh-265156 00:04 01 Jun 04

agree with VoG, doesnt imediatly jump out as a virus to me either.appcompat.txt is an error text log.you will find it in C:\documents and settings\Luke\local settings and can read it with notepad if you wish but the look like jibberish to me and may not help you very much.

explorer.exe was the faulting application.ie/ the bit that handles the GUI and everything you see.

i would again, as above try system restore if you can.

if you can click through menus ok then have a look in start/control panel/administrative tools/event viewer and click the system and application tabs and look here for errors relating to explorer.exe and the dates and times you started getting errors.

click any links to MS to get some help on a fix if its a known problem maybe.if not look at the earlist date listed and choose a restore point before it appeared maybe.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…