Big HDD's & Pentium 2

joethebow 20:12 24 Dec 05

A friend of mine has an old P2 running Win XP SP2. Her HDD is only 9Gb and is way too small for anything. On opening the PC I find there are 2 X 40 wire IDE cables with a single connector on either end, one going to the HDD and the other to the DVD Rom. I change either 1 to an 80 wire 3 connector cable, all OK. Now I attach another good HDD as a slave, the PC won't boot. Yes, I have the jumpers set right, I triple checked. I refit the old cables, remove the DVD and plug in a 160GB drive and the system boots. I replace the DVD and change the old 9GB HDD for a new 160GB, system starts up but when I try to install XP it says the Drive is 40Gb. I refit it to my own PC and it's back to 160Gb.

So I don't honistly know what's going on.

Totally-braindead 20:27 24 Dec 05

If you can find out the make model of the motherboard I suggest you start there in case theres something about the board which restricts the hard drive size.

DieSse 23:09 24 Dec 05

A P2 system motherboard will not support a drive as large as 160Gb.

You can try the drive manufacturers utility program to try and get around this. On very old boards the programs do not always work - but do try them.

Seagate drive - Disk Wizard click here

MaxTor drive - MaxBlast click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…