Big AVG problem!

Europa 14:34 08 Jun 03

Today, when I started my computer, the AVG icon on the taskbar wasn't there. At first, I wasn't worried because it does that from time to time. Usually, when I reboot, it reappear again. But this time it didn't. So I looked for the desktop icon, and it has vanished too. Then I searched for files and folders containing AVG, and there was none! It's like a wizard had waved his magic wand and talaaa! no more AVG. So I restaured my computer to an earlier date, it brought back AVG, then I've downloaded an update from the grisoft site, and at the end of it, a window appeared sayng that the downloaded file was damaged and will be deleted and that my AVG installation will not be updated. Can someone tell me what's gone wrong?
Another thing : before I realised that AVG was unexistent on my computer, I looked if I had emails. The icon in outlook express that show that something is downloading wasn't there, then I suppose to have received an email but it's nowhere to be seen. Where is it?
Thanks in advance.

-pops- 14:42 08 Jun 03

Could it be this bugbear variant that's going around? According to the popular press, it can destroy anti-virus software.

Don't panic yet though, wait for someone more in the know.

Brian

Belatucadrus 14:55 08 Jun 03

Grisoft do a Bugbear B click here removal utility, probably not a bad idea to download and run it. It may not solve anything, but can't do any harm.

Gandalph 14:55 08 Jun 03

Have you checked in Program Files to see if the Grisoft Folder is still there. If it is, open it and run the Setup.exe file and close down the computer an re-boot. Let us know what happens then.

graham√ 15:02 08 Jun 03

Send yourself an email to see if that bit is working.

Europa 16:04 08 Jun 03

Wouldn't it be simpler to uninstall the AVG program that I've got now and download it again from the grisoft site? As I cannot update the database files without them being damaged, it would be starting afresh.

-pops- 16:16 08 Jun 03

If you do have the bugbear virus (or any other) it would be best to remove that before you do anything else.

Try an online virus check click here

Brian

Europa 20:26 08 Jun 03

Brian,

I've tried the site you suggested but it is impossible to download the files required for a scan. Maybe the internet is overcrowded at the moment, all I know is that the files seems to start downloading alright then stop, or freeze my computer, in which case I need to reboot. What I will do is leave it at that tonight and try again tomorrow, but one thing for sure, I've never experience such problem before. Just in case it is the bugbear intercepting anything regarding antivirus files and programs, is there any sites or other suggestion to scan or get rid of it?
I sent myself an email and received it, but if that bugbear is going through emails from known commercial sites, I MIGHT have been infected that way, but I still hope it's not that.

VoG™ 20:42 08 Jun 03

Other on-line scans click here click here

Gaz 25 20:42 08 Jun 03

Sounds like a virus.

Get a friend to download the AVG update for U and put it on CD, then copy into AVG dir.

-pops- 07:05 09 Jun 03

This sound dire! I hope it isn't this new virus you've got. I also hope you have copies of anything valuable because, in my view, things aren't good. I hope I'm wrong.

Brian

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…