beware the upgrade

mercfan 09:30 07 Nov 08

I got fed up with the speed of the machine since filling it with PC Tools package, so thought I would upgrade to dual core technology. Wandered off to PC World ( not much choice around here) and got a Gigabyte board with an AMD dual core processor. Decided to change one of my CD drives as it had never worked properly, and 4 gig memory. So what went right? Not a lot. My discs are IDE, only one slot on new board, but new disc drive is SATA, so got another one. Then the real blow; the connector from power supply wont fit board, so new power supply. Reload Windows, Microsoft wont let me register Windows, but change mind after a couple of irate phone calls. What I am saying is with prices of towers as they are, is it really worth it?? Hope my experience helps others.

chub_tor 10:18 07 Nov 08

Sorry that your upgrade experience was not a good one but from reading your post it does seem that you went to PC World somewhat under prepared. If you had looked at the components you were intending to keep before you went out and noted which ones were IDE, which ones were SATA, what your graphics card type was, what style of memory you had and your power supply connections then you good have saved yourself some grief.

Building your own PC and even upgrading an existing one is not necessarily the cheapest option as you are buying individual components while the "box shifters" buy in hundreds or thousands. However by doing it yourself you do have the satisgaction of specifying and knowing the quality of the components that you are getting and the experience of fixing it if it ever goes wrong.

Your upgrade has added greatly to your PC knowledge, you will be better prepared for the next time that you upgrade and when you read posts from forum members with upgrade problems you will be in a position to answer them with the hindsight of your own experience.

Thank you for contributing.

iscanut2 10:25 07 Nov 08

I am sure your experience will help others as chub_tor has said. Motto is Be Prepared !!

xania 10:33 07 Nov 08

If you now have a couple of redundant IDE HHD's you can always convert then to USB

click here

and use them as back-up devices.

mercfan 10:45 07 Nov 08

I managed to rescue my hard drives, using the single IDE port on the board, switching the CD drives to SATA. Yes it also cost me a new graphics card, although I could have used the onboard graphics, but I am funny that way, prefer the dedicated option, although not a gamer. Thing that really annoys me though is that the USB ports on the board are USB1.1, whereas the 5 year old motherboard had USB2.0 ports!!
It was an interesting experience; I wont do it again, would not recommend it to others. Perhaps I was making too great a leap trying to upgrade such an old machine. Thing is it was real quality having initially been assembled by Evesham; their passing I deeply regret. I had always found them an excellent Company to deal with

bjh 10:48 07 Nov 08

Or convert them to SATA directly with this clever little gizmo. Works well in my experience.

click here

chub_tor 12:01 07 Nov 08

Having USB 1.1 ports on a motherboard that takes dual core processors and has SATA makes no sense. What is the Gigabyte model number of your board, I'm sure that all new motherboards are USB 2.0. Have you looked in Device Manager? There should be a reference to Enhanced in the USB listing, I don't think that you can load USB 1.1 drivers instead of USB 2.0

Rahere 12:05 07 Nov 08

USB 2.0 ports will show as Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller in Device manager

mercfan 12:24 07 Nov 08

The motherboard is Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2H and claims support for 8gb system memory,1xPCI Express x16slot/1 x PCI Express x 1 slot/ 2 x PCI slots; Realtek ALC888 codec/ high def audio 2/4/5.1/7.1-channel; UP TO 12 USB 2.0/1.1 ports.
OK so I have the 1.1 ports up and running What am I missing? I thought I had loaded all the Gigabyte drivers. Speed of computer is OK now PC Tools has own processor, but would like to get back to USB 2.0. Don't tell me I have to get another card, please

Rahere 12:29 07 Nov 08

Selection of USB speeds 2.0 or 1.1 should be automatic depending on the device you are plugging in - are you sure your devices are USB 2.0?

Your motherboard is 2.0 capable - are you connecting the device using a USB extension card and not directly into the motherboard sockets?

mercfan 12:35 07 Nov 08

I think it was my iPod that warned of slow connection. I cannot find any reference to Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller, just Standard openHCD USB controller, or is this the same thing??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…