Beware! Mobile Phone Scam

i know it's not computer related but please read

For those of you that has a mobile phone please be very careful when you delete text messages
My son has just had a call from his phone provider advising him of an excessive use of his phone (text messages) the bill is in excess of £1000 for a month
The scam is that these unscrupulous companies (there seems to be about five of them) will send you a text message and charge you about £1.50 every time, even if you delete the message you will still get charged
The only way (so he was informed) to stop them from sending these messages is to reply back to them (at a cost of £1.50 to yourself) and ask them to stop
If you just delete the message they continue to send more and more.
I myself had five text messages sent to me yesterday all at the same time, did not know the person who sent them so deleted the lot so by the looks of things I am going to get charged £1.50 for each and every one of them (and by the way I very rarely use my mobile it’s just for emergencies)
So be very careful the next time you delete that message it could be you next
I will be looking into this a lot more to see if this scum can really get away with this
If any one has had similar and got a result then please I would be very grateful to hear from you

Salinger 22:55 05 Nov 04

I can't believe that there is a loophole, either in the telephony regulations or in government legislation, that allows ANYONE to reverse charge you for texts. UNLESS, of course, you opt-in to their money grubbing scheme.

Starfox 22:58 05 Nov 04

Don't understand?

How do you get charged for recieving a text message?

Salinger
no money grabbing scheme involved on my behalf (only the ones that sends out these messages)
like i said I very rarely use my mobile it’s just for emergencies and i myself have got scamed

Salinger 23:07 05 Nov 04

If you re-read my post I did not infer that you were involved in anything, merely that for this to be legal it would require the 'punter' to accept that THEY can do this to you.

Starfox

thats what i would like to know?these scum can send out text messages to ANY mobile number and the person on the receiving end pays
how the law allows this to happen beats me

VoG II 23:12 05 Nov 04

How the technology allows this beats me! How could this be possible?

Salinger 23:13 05 Nov 04

There are some "Service Providers" who will send you "information" on a reverse charge basis, BUT you have to "opt-in" to their scheme (or scam), the usual tariff is £1.50 per text message.

GWJ 23:15 05 Nov 04

What does the provider say?
On your contract/statement it usually give a specific fee (if charged) for downloading texts.
I did get a text message a week or so ago asking me to phone back (on what seemedlike a foreign pay as you talk line. I didnt!

Cook2 23:19 05 Nov 04

#@~@#, I'm no Sherlock Holmes but re-read what you said.

The scam is that these unscrupulous companies (there seems to be about five of them) will send you a text message and charge you about £1.50 every time, even if you delete the message you will still get charged. The only way (so he was informed) to stop them from sending these messages is to reply back to them (at a cost of £1.50 to yourself) and ask them to stop If you just delete the message they continue to send more and more.

Think about it.

Cook2 23:19 05 Nov 04

#@~@#, I'm no Sherlock Holmes but re-read what you said.

The scam is that these unscrupulous companies (there seems to be about five of them) will send you a text message and charge you about £1.50 every time, even if you delete the message you will still get charged. The only way (so he was informed) to stop them from sending these messages is to reply back to them (at a cost of £1.50 to yourself) and ask them to stop If you just delete the message they continue to send more and more.

Think about it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…