Beware messenger plus update

anon1 18:21 22 Jun 04

I know this has been aired before ( I searched the forum) but not for some time now. I just downloaded messenger update ( always been excellent) but sadly LOP.COM has got involved now and it swiftly placed 13 items in my bad bits 12 of which were malware and the final one was a tracking cookie. Needless to say spybot and adaware soon took care of them and luckily my homepage was not hijacked thanks to internet sweeper pro. I have now completely removed messenger plus and have also sent an email to Patchou (the founder of plus). Purely a heads up.

anon1 21:04 22 Jun 04

*bump*

obbit 22:04 22 Jun 04

i noticed a lot of rubbish included with messenger plus. when the update alert came up this week i declined it.

keep away from updates.

Chegs ® 23:54 22 Jun 04

I accidently installed the "sponsor" when installing an updated "Plus" on my PC.I went off to bed with a clear PC,on logging in the next morning,my PC was inundated with 117 adaware/spyware instances.I also removed Plus and MSN Messenger,then reinstalled them but without the "sponsor" The PC has never been bothered by the occasional cookie since.Its possible that you also opted for the "sponsor"(but not guaranteed)hence the adware,etc.

I also found my computer was plauged with spyware after installing it. Like you anon1, Spybot Search and Destroy took care of it

kemsheadwooky 15:11 22 Feb 05

When I had this menace advice from the forum helped me get rid of the visually nuisance bits (incidently adaaware & spybot didn'y seem to see it), but I remained uneasy.

A couple of days later I downloaded and ran MS beta version of anti spyware - guess what more messenger plus spyware

The MS application appears to have dealt with it

Jimbo

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…