"Beware the 'Joe Job'"

Gaz W 21:50 19 Jan 04

I have recently received an email (obviously spam) from the domain myparentime.com. When I attempted to contact the webmaster/administrator an auto-reply came back saying "This email address has been tarnished as a direct result of abuse by spammers illegally using the myparentime.com domain."

The message pointed me here: click here...

Which pointed me here: click here

I have my own domain name (from oneandone.co.uk) and am worried that I might have my email account "hijacked" because whoever it is behind it obviously knows my address.

Is there anything I need to do or am I jumping to conclusions?

Is there anything that needs to be done on my part.

spuds 23:57 19 Jan 04

If you are concerned about your domain account, contact 1&1. They are usually very helpfull.

Jester2K 07:40 20 Jan 04

Spammers know millions of e-mail addresses. At any time they can hijack any one of them. Might be your home account, my website account, etc etc etc.

Theres no way to stop them IF they should pick your address from the MILLIONS they have to choose from.

Chances are they had a grudge against myparentime.com and that why they did it...

Don't worry.

Gaz W 17:02 20 Jan 04

OK, thanks for your help. I will contact 1&1 about this. I would imagine that it's their responsibility, since although I own the domain, I have no control over it!

Gaz 25 17:29 20 Jan 04

Yeah, the idiots.

Well, I better get going on this anti-spam system: click here

Regards,
Gareth

Jester2K 07:33 21 Jan 04

"I would imagine that it's their responsibility"

and

"Yeah, the idiots"

Perhaps I've misunderstood your post but how is this 1&1s fault or responsibility? If i start sending you spam how is that 1&1's fault?

In case you didn't realise, the comment on the e-mail saying "This email address has been tarnished as a direct result of abuse by Spammers illegally using the myparentime.com domain" refers to the MYPARENTIME.COM e-mail address and not yours.

You got the auto reply message because the MYPARENTIME.COM e-mail address has been flooded with messages since Spam was sent out under their account name and they have closed the account. Hence you get a message back warning you the MYPARENTIME.COM account has been tarnished - NOT YOURS!

Your website is as safe as it ever was. The only way it could be hijacked by anyone is if they know your password.

Jester2K 07:46 21 Jan 04

Oh and even if a Spammer did hijack your e-mail address theres not much you or 1&1 can do about it other than trace the perpetrator or delete any mail that comes back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…