Better PCI Modem wanted, but Hardware or Software?

Giggle n' Bits 13:39 04 May 05

Having doubts about my new modem in a newly built machine. the Modem being a SpeedCom PCI 56K/V92 Intel 536EP Chip, from click here.

Not sure if this what you call a Hardware or a Software Modem. Use XP Home on a Asus A7V8X-X Motherboard

Ok, So my Old modem showed connceting at 50,000Kbps but this new modem in new machine is reaching a max of 38,000 - 40,000Kbps

Could anyone tell me which is better a Hardware OR Software modem, which modem is better and could anyone recomend one from any of the following which will have better connecting modem from click here click here, Dabs.com or CCL online.

Thanks in advance for any help. I would consider broadband but my use is not enough at present.

Technotiger 13:52 04 May 05

Hi, I used to think I did not have enough use to warrant bb - heck, I wouldn't be without it now.
I changed my ordinary pci modem, best thing I ever did - I bought and fitted a Ethernet pci card and an external Ethernet ADSL Modem - it is superb. I am on BT BB, no more dialling in or clicking on BT icon to connect, as soon as Modem fires up I am ready to go on-line.

Cheers.

Technotiger 13:54 04 May 05

ps - also has the added security of built-in hardware firewall.

Stuartli 13:58 04 May 05

Try and find a Diamond SupraExpress 56k PCI Pro or similar - far superior to "soft" type modems - on e-Bay or similar.

But, like Technotiger, I've recently switched to broadband, although in theory the type of surfing I do doesn't really warrant it.

However it does save having to ask one of the offspring to download very large files for me and bring them round on a disk or memory card and, even more crucially, I worked out it was only £2 a week extra on top of Tiscali's DayTime Plus fee.

Just 7p more than one of my (several) pints of Guinness a week...:-)

Indigo 1 13:58 04 May 05

click here

click here

click here

You may also want to try this click here

Indigo 1 14:07 04 May 05

One more click here it has a very good utility to test your speed.

You need to read it all.

Giggle n' Bits 14:07 04 May 05

Thank u ALL I am now reading the Links.

Technotiger 14:11 04 May 05

Me again - mine is the BIPAC 5100S

click here

Cheers.

Technotiger 14:17 04 May 05

Ooops - sorry that was the wrong link - it is this one.

click here

Giggle n' Bits 14:44 04 May 05

But I am talking aobut Dial UP 56K/V92 here.

Technotiger 15:03 04 May 05

Happy hunting anyway - one to keep in mind when you do decide to join the Fast Lane.

Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced