better to have more ram of better processor

yamahamt07 16:30 22 Feb 15

I am buying laptop for 11yr old who plays minecraft on pc. I am comparing two hp laptops one has intel i3 but has 4gb ram the other amd a8 with 8 gb ram, both are same price £350.

I belive i3 is better but is it more impotant to have better processor or more ram.

many thanks

rdave13 16:53 22 Feb 15

For this situation I'd definitely go for the better CPU. Ram can be upgraded in a laptop if the mobo allows. You can't upgrade the CPU.

wee eddie 19:01 22 Feb 15

I'm no expert but I think that both will disappoint on the Gaming front

bumpkin 20:17 22 Feb 15

I would try to think ahead here, neither of them are very good for gaming and an 11yr old will soon be looking for better games, so your £350 machine whilst it may be appreciated now may soon become redundant. If you decide to go ahead then the i3 would be better.

wee eddie 20:54 22 Feb 15

I5 would be a better bet

wee eddie 21:43 22 Feb 15

Gaming performance depends, very much, on the Graphics capability of the Chip installed.

At the low price range you are considering a Lappy with less RAM, that you can upgrade in a couple of years, and a Processor with better on - Board Graphics is to be preferred.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced