Better to have combined modem/router or separate?

Qdiddy 18:54 01 Sep 05

Hi,

I already have a cable modem provided by Telewest. Should I just use a router connected to the existing modem or is it better to have a combined modem/router?

I plan to connect main PC and printer with a network cable, with a laptop being the only wireless unit (until my daughter demands her own PC, which will also be wireless)

Thanks.

Gaz 25 19:43 01 Sep 05

You can get cable routers pretty cheap these days, I'd just get one of those :-D

It's generally a 'Broadband/Cable router' instead of an 'ADSL router'

Strawballs 01:52 03 Sep 05

How does your modem connect to the computer, if it is via network cable get router or if it is usb then you will need to get combined modem/router or if it is like my friends NTL modem it will connect by either.

Qdiddy 09:47 04 Sep 05

I connect via a network cable. I guess it's pretty much whether I want a modem AND a router or if I just want one little box on my desk if there is no advantage either way?

retep888 22:07 04 Sep 05

As the other forum members stated,I think a cable router is the simplest and cheapest way to go for,by the way,the router itself isn't very big in size at all.

Strawballs 22:39 04 Sep 05
  inneedofhelp 14:10 05 Sep 05

I have telewest and just bought a "CABLE" router. Dont make my mistake and pick up a ADSL by accident DOH.

Then just set it u and your away. I used the linksys cable router(get it from comet,currys pc world etc) very good and it has wireless, which was perfect for me.

Gaz 25 01:19 06 Sep 05

For some reason there's more cable routers than ADSL modem/routers. Just make sure it has a WAN port for DSL/Cable connections. ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…