Better to get a CD or DVD re-writer?

CarloB 14:34 13 Apr 04

My CD RW drive seems to have stopped working, and I have been advised to simply replace it. I want to know whether it would be a better idea to get a new CD RW drive, or would it be better to get a DVD RW drive? I already have a DVD read only drive.

Stuartli 14:38 13 Apr 04

You can burn both CD and DVD media on a DVD rwriter.

CarloB 14:41 13 Apr 04

But would having a DVD read only drive AND a DVD rewrite drive cause any 'compatability' problems with my computer?

Sion 14:43 13 Apr 04

Get a decent DVD writer. they can burn CDR and CDRW as well as DVDs. Its a good future proof option in my opinion.
click here for a 4x dual DVD writer, that also writes CDR at 24x and CDRW at 10x. £55 Getting a stand alone CDR is cheaper, but if u can afford it, get the DVD writer. Makes backign up data a lot easier i can tell you, having your data on one or two DVDs, as opposed to 10 CDs !!

Sion 14:43 13 Apr 04

No it would not cause any problesm. Just make sure your DVD writer is set to MASTER and DVD rom to slave, and it will be fine.

pj123 14:46 13 Apr 04

No, shouldn't be any compatibility problems at all. The only difference would be the cost. A CD Rewriter is about £30 and a DVD Rewriter starts around £80 depending on which one you go for.

Yo Ho 15:05 13 Apr 04

Multi format DVD writers are well down in price now, and that would leave your options open. Particularly DVD+/DVD- not so much the DVD/ROM, unless someone knows different? I have a DVD+, which ties me to +media, but I could buy the -media cheaper.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 Plus review: better cameras and waterproofing make this the best iPhone yet

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple to launch new Macs and MacBook Pros at an event on October 27

iPhone vs Android | iOS vs Android: 5 reasons why Apple's iPhones beat Google Android smartphones ()…