Best,Fast way of transfering big files lap/desktop

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 21:30 01 Feb 05

Hi
Whats the best way of transfering files to and from laptop to desktop?
thanks
ben

LeadingMNMs 21:39 01 Feb 05

A crossover network cable between the two, assuming that both have a network card / port. Then setup a network and just transfer the files across.

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 21:41 01 Feb 05

Yes i have tried this.i have setup network.the computers sometimes see eachother,but when you click them they say they are not accessible.i have disabled all firewalls,realtime scanning ect.it still won't allow.any thoughts?thanks.v much.ben

LeadingMNMs 21:45 01 Feb 05

What Operating System and Firewall are you using on each system ?

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 21:50 01 Feb 05

a) sp2 firewall,pc cillin
b) sp2 firewall

a is desktop.thanks

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 21:57 01 Feb 05

Now in the task tray,there are those flashing speakers i would call them say on both machines they are limited or no connectivity.thanks.ben

also 'A' is XPHE and

'B' is XP pro.

thanks.ben

LeadingMNMs 22:01 01 Feb 05

Have you set up folders that are shared over a network ? I can't remember if this is normally set up in the Network Setup Wizard.

Unfortunately there are lots of possible causes for a network not working and it could take a long time to diagnose the problem.

My first port of call is to use the ping command to check if the computers can see each other. To do this, open a command prompt and type "ping compname" where 'compname' is the name that you have to the OTHER machine. This will send 4 packets of data and they will either be received or time out.

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 22:05 01 Feb 05

Yep,they can see eachother.thanks.ben

LeadingMNMs 22:22 01 Feb 05

Try opening a browser and typing "\\CompName\SharedFolderName" where the 'CompName' is the name of the computer and 'SharedFolderName' is the name of the folder thats been shared.

If it doesn't work for the remote computer then try it for the local one to check that the path exists.

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 22:52 01 Feb 05

DAMM!!!

i had it working i transfered a few folders whilst i was in the shower,when i came back.same problem.thanks for all your help LeadingMNMs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…