Best Wireless Router For Virgin Broadband???

julius44 19:11 14 Mar 07

Hello all, i've now left tiscali, and i'm now with virgin. I previously has a linksys ADSL WG524s wireless router which was excellent, but now as i've been told i'll need to get a DSL/cable router. I just wanted personal opinion, and links to Cable/Dsl wireless router websites. I'll be sharing my connection with my playstation 2....and soon to be purchased playstation 3. I'm looking for something not too pricey, relaible, and easy to set up.....my budget is £30-£50. The router MUST be fast and RELIABLE I'm also looking to sell my ADSL router for a cheap quick price.

Ashrich 00:26 15 Mar 07

Every body will have a different opinion on this one , I know that a lot of people on here like Linksys , I personally like TrendNet or Zyxel kit , some swear by Netgear and some swear AT Netgear , although I have a Netgear WGR614 set up at my sisters house that has an uptime of two years now without a hitch , so click here the Linksys routers are a good price ...

Ashley

mgmcc 08:38 15 Mar 07

I'm currently using a D-Link DI-524 with Telewest (VirginMedia) and have been very pleased with it, but also have a Netgear WG614 that I got as a "freebie" from Telewest.

For a while I was using a Linksys WRT54GS but this had a habit of suddenly not communicating with the PCs connected to it, whether wired or wireless. Strangely, this seemed to happen around 7.30 am or 7.30 pm and the router had to be powered off/on to get going again.

Strawballs 22:42 15 Mar 07

That's strange I use wrt54g have done for about 2 years now and has not missed a beat VM formerly NTL. Unless it is something to do with the speed boost of the gs model!!

sidandlil 10:59 16 Mar 07

I am using a netgear 824 with no problems and a neighbour uses a belkin, again with no probs, and both easy to set up yourself

mgmcc 13:24 16 Mar 07

<<< That's strange I use wrt54g have done for about 2 years now and has not missed a beat VM formerly NTL. Unless it is something to do with the speed boost of the gs model!! >>>

There have also been a lot of problems with the WAG54G (WAG54GS?) with a failure of the built-in 4 port network switch. "Network Cable Unplugged" messages keep appearing briefly as the connection is lost. In another forum I participate in, there is a lengthy thread devoted to this issue.

Maybe I'm cynical but could the "bundled" Routers & USB WiFi adapters that PC World were selling on special offer be sub-standard? Someone actually posted that a PC World employee had said he'd be glad when the offer ended as there had been so many faulty items returned.

There certainly appears to be a quality control issue recently, although I know that many of the original WRT54G routers have given first class service.

I have yet to be convinced that the "SpeedBooster" technology actually makes a blind bit of difference. I can't see any difference and, although I asked Linksys if the PC should somehow indicate a connection speed of 125Mbps instead of 54Mbps, I never did get a definitive answer.

Strawballs 23:06 17 Mar 07

I got my wrt54g from Novatech and am using their own wireless PCI card and at the moment 2 connected by wire and laptop using its own broadcom wireless.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac