Best wired router?

ajn9000 10:58 07 Feb 09

Hello, simple question - does anyone have an opinion on what is the best wired router on the market (with 4 ports)?
Many thanks

mgmcc 19:52 07 Feb 09

Firstly, you are unlikely to make any significant saving by buying a "wired" router instead of a "wireless" one, even if you can find such a thing. The only difference is that a "wireless" router incorporates a Wireless Access Point, in addition to the conventional 4-port switch.

Secondly, there are two distinct types of Router, depending on whether you are connecting to an "ADSL" service via the phone line or Virgin's "Cable" service via either a Cable Modem or a TV Set-top box.

With ADSL you use a *combined* Router & ADSL Modem.

Have a look at models of the correct type from Netgear, Linksys, D-Link, Belkin etc.

With Cable you use a Cable/DSL Router which doesn't incorporate a Modem.

Switcher 20:26 07 Feb 09

Have a look at the Rolls royce of internet routers
the Draytec Vigor 2820. Well that is what Draytec claim !!

ajn9000 21:52 07 Feb 09

thanks - I already have a Speedtouch 330 ADSL modem so I'm looking for a router to connect to 3 pcs. I have found info on D-Link DIR-100 and Netgear RP614. One of the Ethernet cables will connect into a wireless router in an office.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…