best wifi kit

peg 20:14 07 Dec 07

Hi all
geting a new laptop for xmas and whant to go wi fi with my desktop pc, need to get either pci card or usb adaptor + a router any ideas on a good package to buy ? reading other threads usb sounds like the better option.
got orange speedtouch cable modem at present
cheers

Kemistri 21:39 07 Dec 07

Do you need to swap the desktop's connection for a wireless link? If it's not quantifiably advantageous to you, don't. Use Ethernet for the desktop instead.

P.S. I'm sure that Orange is an ADSL supplier, so that won't be a cable modem - critical difference.

peg 21:48 07 Dec 07

sorry its a speedtouch 330 ADSL modem can i just get a wifi kit (router+adapter) as my desktop pc is not wifi enabled

Kemistri 23:17 07 Dec 07

Routers cannot work with ADSL modems IF they have a USB interface, which I believe yours does. If you had an Ethernet modem - almost exclusively the preserve of cable users (not ADSL) - then you would be instructed to by a router.

You need a modem/router - note the critical difference. Don't fall into the simple trap of buying the wrong format of router, in which a lot of forum posters apparently get caught.

Kemistri 23:17 07 Dec 07

"By"? I mean "buy", of course.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now