Best Webcam (£40-£70)

roygbiv 13:26 16 Feb 03

Can someone advise me as to the best webcam for £40-£70 please. with a good quality resolution?.
the shelves of pcworld are a bit daunting without any knowledge to fall back on.

-pops- 13:30 16 Feb 03

I think they're all pretty much the same. If you want to capture anything moving, get a USB2 or firewire model. Other than that, remember that it will be sitting there looking at you all day, so choose one that isn't too ugly or distracting! There used to be some very ugly models around - like the ADS API 200 which I have (only because I got it very cheap).

Brian

Stuartli 13:37 16 Feb 03

If you go to Scan of Bolton (click here) and check out its TodayOnly page, it often offers the USB D-Link NetEasy 350 model, plus a PC radio, for about £21. The camera is about £13 on its own.

As the NetEasy 350 is a CCD model offering up to 640x480 resolution it is the equivalent of some costing twice or more as much.

I used to have a Creative WebCam Plus which cost around £50 which has exactly the same specifications as the D-Link.

As, for some reason, my son couldn't get the D-Link to work with his broadband setup, he persuaded me to do a swap.

The Creative worked fine for him whilst the D-Link operated just as well and efficiently with my Creative webcam software. The quality is exactly the same for both webcams.

Details of the D-Link 350 can be found on D-Link's NetEasy website and not its own D-Link pages.

pj123 13:43 16 Feb 03

No webcam is good quality resolution, they are all VGA.

I have got one that I don't use, if you would like it - pay the postage and its yours. email me with your response.

PS. I like your rainbow name.

Pete

anchor 15:42 16 Feb 03

From a recent PC magazine review the Logitech Quick cam pro 4000 is streets ahead of the others. The cost is about £59 incl:vat, at Simply.

Read about it here:

click here

Pesala 16:30 16 Feb 03

PCW Recommended Best Buy

High Resolution stills, VGA webcam

click here

Stuartli 20:15 16 Feb 03

The quality required depends on whether you are using a 56k connection - the narrow bandwidth means that it will be more than sufficient.

two00lbwaster 20:18 16 Feb 03

click here

a cheaper place for the excellent toucam camera thats the beesnees of webcams its nothing special to look at but there not going to get much better

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…