Best ways to transport a PC tower

The Transporter 11:26 04 Aug 03

Hi all

I am at uni as well as working away from home over the summer. When travelling to and from these locations to home etc. I take my tower with me. It is in its original box etc with the foam corner holders etc.

My main concern is vibration etc. I drive about 190 miles to get home from uni or work. And thnaks to Britain having great roads the odd bump etc will be encountered.

Could i please have peoples opinions etc. Have the tower stood up as if i was using it. Or lying down as if i was installing a mobo etc. Place it on top of some foam or a pillow or something.

Or am i worring about nothing.

Just want to make sure as i don't want to effect my hard drive or the Aero 7+ fixed to my mobo due to lots of vibration etc.

Thanks

:-)

Gaz 25 11:33 04 Aug 03

I think you need a laptop, but anyway...

Long as you dont drop the computer or submit it to extreame viabrations you should be Ok.

Just pad it all up in a box! And back-up files!!!

The Transporter 11:38 04 Aug 03

There just arn't as tweakable and the graphics are not as good as desktops. I correct myself, they are getting better, but for the price they ask, i will stick with my desktop. :-)

Gaz 25 11:40 04 Aug 03

You have a point: To get anywhere near desktop preformance an ultimate laptop is gonna cost £££££.

But now they are being seen with FX 5200 Graphics and even FX5600.

Gaz 25 11:43 04 Aug 03

I would have it lying down, be careful when upright thta bump cound throw it out the window.

Not on a pillow, but protect the sides with a pillow, you see on a pillow it could fall!

Dont worry too much about the transport - there was a time when hard drives had to be "parked" for transport to get the read heads out of the way of the disk in case of a bump etc but that is now all done by the disk automatically.

Personally, I feel the only problems you may encounter are that the cards will work loose and the heatsink may strain the zif socket a bit too much.

For the cards simply opening up the case and pushing home firmly will resolve any problems and as for the heatsink, laying the tower on its side so that the heatsink is not pulling at the socket but sitting directly on top of it will prevent most problems.

Gaz 25 11:45 04 Aug 03

Oh and if it is a very heavy fan removing it might be best.

Jester2K II 11:47 04 Aug 03

1) Check everything is secure BEFORE you go.

2) Make sure it can't bang about too much.

3) Check everything is secure AFTER you arrive.

About it really..

Bandy 20:13 04 Aug 03

I find the back seat - seat belts very useful for holding computers in postion. Down behind the drivers/passenger front seat is also quite good, with a little padding.

spuds 20:29 04 Aug 03

Considering the amount of transport abuse, the original box [with poly packing] takes through various stages. I would say the way you transport now is okay. I have known some people, who have put a good supply of bubble wrap around the box as an added safety margin. Jammed in amongst other items, so that it cannot bounce about, should solve your problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5