Best Way To Wipe PC

I am selling my PC and for obvious security etc I need to completely erase the hard drives. I have killdisk which is free and makes only one pass. Is this all I need and will it do the job or is there something else I should use? Thanks.

northumbria61 23:45 01 Sep 10

You could try ERASER (Free) it wipes using several passes.- click here

Looks a bit complicated, do you know how it works? It seems you have to select the files you want to erase. I want to select disk 'D' and erase everything on it.

lotvic 00:31 02 Sep 10

Couldn't you just run Killdisk several times?

I suppose so, will that work then?

sharpamat 07:00 02 Sep 10

If D Does not have the O/S on it use the easy method just open my computer on the desktop.select disc D and then format.

Be aware this will remove eyerything on that drive

'D' was just an example. I have 2 drives with windows on 'C'. I want to completely wipe both as they have both had important bank details etc on in the past.

And I was led to believe that just formatting does not completely remove everything like I need as I am selling the PC.

lotvic 09:42 02 Sep 10

Darik's Boot and Nuke (DBAN)

lotvic 09:48 02 Sep 10

sorry, forgot to post the link to short tutorial video click here

northumbria61 12:00 02 Sep 10

Eraser "Looks a bit complicated"
It is a few years since I last used it but it does a complete wipe. This is how it is described -

Eraser is an advanced security tool
(for Windows), which allows you to completely remove sensitive data from your hard drive by overwriting it several times with carefully selected patterns. Works with Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP, Windows 2003 Server and DOS. Eraser is Free software and its source code is released under GNU General Public License.

However you may want to go with other suggestions as suggested namely "Darik's Boot and Nuke (DBAN)" by lotvic.

Covergirl 12:42 02 Sep 10

If so, you could reformat as normal during OS installation, and when you're up & running you could install & run CCleaner which has an option to securely erase free space.

(Probably best to DL CCleaner first and save it to a memory stick to save you having to get your internet up and running after reinstalling the OS.)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…