Best way to turn off a Maxtor External drive

wee eddie 19:30 15 Oct 05

My Maxtor 5000XT has no On/Off switch, and I cannot find the Instruction Manual.

Having said that, I cannot remember any mention of how to turn it Off.

Ever since I got it, I have been unplugging it but there must be a better way.

Anyone know better and willing to enlighten me.

johnnyrocker 19:38 15 Oct 05

does it have an os on it?

TOPCAT® 19:40 15 Oct 05

My Freecom USB drive has to be 'turned off' by right clicking its icon in Systray and waiting until Windows unloads drivers. Then it is safe to remove it and pull out the power cord. TC.

wee eddie 19:57 15 Oct 05

I have always assumed that this action was for the benefit of the PC rather than that of the peripheral.

Maybe Maxtor use the process to Park the Drive heads.

TOPCAT® 21:14 15 Oct 05

I know mine wasn't happy when I once just disconnected the USB lead without clearing from Windows. My manual gives a warning about doing that but, when you think about it, you're probably right about allowing time for it to spin down and park the heads. I now never forget that tray icon when I've finished with the drive!! TC.

woodchip 21:19 15 Oct 05

Just had a quick google, it appears you have a external drive! So right click the Icon in System tray choose safely remove hardware. then you can pull the plug nothing else needed

Magik ®© 21:27 15 Oct 05

I click the "safely remove hardware" icon down on the taskbar, pick out the maxtor drive and the job is done..

CurlyWhirly 21:40 15 Oct 05

I also use an external hard drive for backup purposes.
Also I use the 'Safely remove hardware' icon on the taskbar when I have finished backing up my data and most times when I click on it the first time I get an error message saying that the device cannot be stopped.
I expect this is because the operating system hasn't finished accessing it completely?

I usually go back and try a second time and I get a message saying "It is now safe to unplug this device from the PC".

I have done this loads of times and never had a problem with it.

woodchip 21:51 15 Oct 05

Remove the Restore feature for the Extenal drive you should not need it. This is what stops you removing drive

CurlyWhirly 22:11 15 Oct 05

I haven't actually enabled System Restore (I assume you sre referring to this?) so unless it is on by default?

woodchip 22:21 15 Oct 05

Yes but windows will enable it on the External automatic. So you are better turning it off

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…