Best way for Translating Manual

aitch2 03 Jul 12

I have a User Manual in French for a washing machine that I want to translate into english. I have translation programme (L&H) on the win7 pc, but if I scan a page to translate, I cannot seem to copy it to MS Word for translation. Is there another way or alternative method to achieve this. ps. I have tried to obtain an english manual from the makers but this is not possible. Thanks Aitch

lotvic 03 Jul 12

Maybe the User manual is available for download as a .pdf or other? then you wouldn't need to scan pages in.

LastChip 03 Jul 12

How does your translation application save the file?

Do you have an option to save it as a text file?

Or maybe as a pdf?

robin_x 03 Jul 12

White Goods manuals can be tricky to find (for free download) if you are not in the trade. (I am not either).

What Make/Model/Description is it?

Do you just want it for your own use? Forgotten how to use it or broken?

aitch2 03 Jul 12

I use the HP scanner to scan the document and I can save it as a pdf file. I try to copy it to the L&H in the new project plane, but it won't allow me to paste it in. Tried the same method in MSWord and the same result. On a previous HP scanner I was able to scan straight to MSWord and could achieve the translation that way, but the new scanner doesn't have that facility so I'm at aloss as to how to achieve it.

aitch2 03 Jul 12

Robinofloxely: Have been able to find the manual on line, but in French as is the one I have. The washing machine is brand new. I speak french but the missus does not, and I am not always around when she wants to use it Have spoken to Indesit but they refer me to the French Office so I'm back where I started.

spuds 03 Jul 12

Perhaps a long shot, but if the model is still in production, then perhaps your local Currys or Dixons might prove if there is an English version manual available?.

lotvic 03 Jul 12

Try pasting into Notepad (which will remove formatting) then recopying it from there to paste into Word. Or try the 'Paste Special' in Word which does the same thing.

buteman 03 Jul 12

Try here all in English if you can find your model number.

http://www.indesitservice.co.uk/hs/pages/manual/manualSearch.do

Terry Brown 03 Jul 12

It is unusual for a any appliance these days to have just a manual in just one language, did you buy in the UK, or is an inmport (or you bought it in France?).

Washing machines are normally quite simple to understand and you don't normally need a manual after setting it up.

If it only the wash letters that you are concerned with, use a CD marker and mark the English letters in the appropiate place on the display (or is an electron display?)

Terry

aitch2 04 Jul 12

The washing machine was bought in France for use in France, so thanks Buteman, for the lead but already tried that. Manual is found but same as mine; french. Tried the paste/ special but will not work. Also scannned the page and saved as a pdf, so Acrobat can scan and prepare it but that doesn't work either.Tried the clipboard and notepad but no joy with those also.Thanks for the other suggestions. Aitch

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

Encore creates eerie effects for Spielberg's new TV show The Whispers

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message