Best way to transfer files and progs to new comp?

spras 16:21 25 Aug 07

My computer has become totally unusable so it needs a refresh, I feel the easiest way to do this is to upgrade the vital components with a fresh install of windows and start from scratch.

My current system has 2 HDD's, 1 drive has Windows XP and some non-vital programs. I intend to format this drive and install vista on it for use in the new PC. My other drive is a 200GB SATA that stores all my vital files and programs. I wish to put this HDD in to the new computer as a second drive (as with my current set up). My issue is, will I be able to use all my programs as before? I have lost many of the discs and install files, it will be a lot of hassle to track them all down

brundle 16:25 25 Aug 07

No, you'll need to reinstall them all. Program installers add entries to the Windows registry and sometimes add files to various locations in Windows.

xania 16:27 25 Aug 07

Very much doubt it. Most programs need to reinstall in order to have certain entries placed in trhe Registry. This particualrly applies to the most import (Office, Textbridge etc) and evedn most games will not run withouit being speciofically re-installed. I do like your set-up; having your programs in a separate partition does make matters easier as your can then install over the top and all your settings wil be safe - but you still need that re-install.

spras 16:41 25 Aug 07

I suspected as much :( Thanks for your help. I assume it won't cause problems to plug the drive in as it is then begin re-installing everything to the same locations? (even if I am installing to a new OS)

spras 16:44 25 Aug 07

I suspected as much :( Thanks for your help. I assume it won't cause problems to plug the drive in as it is then begin re-installing everything to the same locations? (even if I am installing to a new OS)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…