Best way to "stream" audio

MikeyMooMoo 16:36 04 Jul 05

Hi people,

I have a site that im building for a band, they require a "jukebox" where it is possible to play the bands music but NOT download it. I dont have access to a seperate streaming server, so have considered doing it in either flash or director.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to a better way of doing this, or has anyone made such a thing in flash. Cuz im not great with flash i get confused easily, so i anyone knows of an easy to follow tutorial it would be a help?

Thanks

Mike

Pesala 19:52 05 Jul 05

I am curious to learn how this magic might be achieved to play a sound file without downloading it. It is just plain impossible. All one needs to do is run an audio recorder like Audacity, then stream the music.

How about an embedded media player? Easy enough to do with a playlist file. Only the playlist loads with the page. The MP3 file referenced by the playlist loads when the user clicks the play button.

<EMBED ID="PlugIn1" SRC="Playlist.asx" BORDER=0 HEIGHT=64 WIDTH=313 ALT="Track Title" Autostart="0" Type="application/x-mplayer2" ShowStatusBar="1" Pluginspage="click here">

Playlist.asx is a simple text file:

<asx version="3.0">

<!-- Track 1 -->

<entry>

<ref href="blank.wav" />

</entry>

<!-- Track 2 -->

<entry>

<ref href="Filename.mp3" />

</entry>

</asx>

The tiny blank sound file "Blank.wav" is played when the page loads.

To protect the sound file, just use low bitrate samples or short samples.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5