Best way to scan 35mm slides

Guady 16:47 03 Jan 08

I have loads of 35mm slides (both cardboard and plastic mounts) and have been looking at both the Canon CS4400F and the Epson Perfection V100 - both of which indicate that they have a device that holds 4 or so slides and allows you to scan them all at once. Does anyone have any experience of using these scanners for this purpose? Any advice or other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Technotiger 16:57 03 Jan 08

I have the Epson Perfection 3490 Photo, which does exactly the same, with slides and with 35mm negatives .... results are brilliant.

Diemmess 17:00 03 Jan 08

The Epson V100 I have was bought in a hurry and a bonus to dicover it has all neccesary to scan 4 slides at a time.

It does this very well with better resolution than the slight blurriness of some of the old slides requires! Excellent colour rendering and not a fuss.
With 4 at a time it isn't fast, (though it can take negatives in strips of 6), but it is something to get good results in return for a spot of dedication.

I don't know the Canon but it is probably a good competitor.

Not so long ago a dedicated (and expensive scanner was needed, but only the archivist or scientist would need such a gizmo now (in my opinion)

Technotiger 17:09 03 Jan 08

A few user reviews of V100 ...

click here

eedcam 19:14 03 Jan 08

Epson RX 500 also perfect results but. Scan at high res though atleast 1800+

Bagsey 23:13 03 Jan 08

If you want the best look at this.
click here
I have just finished scanning all of my life times slides and negatives with excellent results. I wont be cheap though.

Bagsey 23:16 03 Jan 08

(I wont be) should be It wont be cheap. sorry about that.

Guady 17:29 04 Jan 08

Thanks for your helpful replies. I've been and bought an Epson V100 Photo and have just done a few slides. I'm really delighted with the results - far better than I'd hoped and the file sizes are not huge - which I thought they would be. I haven't yet "messed with" any of the scan settings - just used Automatic. The only thing I did have a bit of trouble with initially was I was getting black sections down the side of the picture - but I think I had not understood how to put the slide in the holder! Any further advice you may have re Scan Settings, Software Use, Naming, etc would be appreciated but basically I'm really happy with it. Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…