Best way to rescue data from dead pc?

White_Elephant 10:57 13 Feb 06

Hi

My old pc has died, mobo kaputt I think.
I'm going to build a new one but have slight problem, how to save the data on the old HDD?

I assume when I have rebuilt the pc and put in the old HDD and install fresh copy of winxp pro, this will erase the data? Its been a copuple of years since I have put an OS on to a machine so can't remember if there are options to not erase the data.

I do have another pc which is up and running, is there a way to hook up the old HDD to that machine and transfer the files?

Totally-braindead 11:07 13 Feb 06

Yes you can just connect the hard drive as a slave and drag and drop or cut and paste the files you want. However that is only good for the DATA the programs create you may find it differcult if not impossible to move the actual programs from one drive to another.
You could connect up the old hard drive as the master, do a repair of windows, install the motherboard drivers and use the hard drive in the new PC as a slave, that would work.
click here

clayton 11:10 13 Feb 06

Fit your old hard drive in the working pc & set the jumpers to slave, then transfer the files you want to copy over.
If the pc has a cd/dvd writer you can burn the files you need onto disc & reinstall on the pc once its fixed.

White_Elephant 11:17 13 Feb 06

Ill connect it as slave on the new pc and give it a whirl.

cheers

White_Elephant 11:20 13 Feb 06

Marked it as resolved then realised still had a question!

When setting the HDD as slave, you whack it in a spare IDE slot (its IDE drive btw) and set the jumpers to slave, correct?

Is there anything else you have to do? Any bios settings to configure?

clayton 11:30 13 Feb 06

set the jumpers on the old drive to slave, fit the drive in a spare slot in the pc case under the drive thats already there & connect to the same ribbon cable.
start the pc & windows should just find the new drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac