Best way to network my PC and new Laptop

The Feet 11:22 02 Feb 03

I have recently bought a laptop and wish to connect it to my PC as I want to be able to access the CD writer, scanner, printer and swap files etc whilst at home between the two computers.

My Laptop is running winXP home and has a modem with both a telephone and a network adapter port in it. Unfortunately it doesn't have a floppy drive this means I cannot create the “Network Setup Disk” (containing the Networking Wizard) that I need to run on the PC not running winXP. Additionally I cannot use the winXP CD provided as my laptop and PC have different manufactures and it will only work with that manufactures Laptops.

My PC is running win98 and all my peripherals are connected to it as well as housing my Internet connection. My PCs modem only has a telephone line port that I use to connect to the Internet. I have read that winXP can network to PC running on win98 easily, I believe this not to be a problem.

What cables do I need and which ports should I use to connect the two computers?
Is a direct cable connection available?

I've tried the wizards on both the winXP and win98 but don't seem to be getting very far. I think I need the process explained to me in the simplest terms possible:)

I would really like to do this at a minimum cost if possible – I’m a poor student!

Lawrence Brown

recap 12:42 02 Feb 03

If you click here The Feet, everything will be explained for you. The basic setup you should need is: Network Interface Cards (NIC) for both systems and a crossover cable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…