best way more speed

YAMA 03:26 01 Nov 07

hi need info, need to find ways of up grading my pc speed,
at the moment I have,

MS xp pro + service pack 2 build--2.60 intel celeron processor 8kilo primary memory 128 kilo secondary memory ----maxtor 80hhd 50 gb left of space----ASUSTek main circut board---2x256MB MEMORY--,

So advice please of what i need to do,
regards yama

RobCharles1981 10:17 01 Nov 07

What do you want to get out of your rig for starters?

Do you play Games ect tell us more?

DieSse 12:40 01 Nov 07

More RAM for more speed on large/multiple jobs.

Faster/better processor for more speed overall.

Better graphics card for faster graphics.

A graphics card if you currently have integrated graphics - for overall extra speed and faster graphics performance.

Better anti-virus for less overhead generally - thus more speed generally.

Clear out rubbish files and clean registry - for faster overall software performance.

Defrag hard drive for marginally faster data transfers.

But please answer Rob_25_Wales question - then we'll know what you're after doing.

YAMA 13:05 01 Nov 07

do not use games.---just want my pc to respond quickly, to start up to using the web, to opening pages ect. it just feels as if it takes ages to open or to respond to comand ect, ok

YAMA 13:08 01 Nov 07

i defrag every friday, use ccleaner every time finish with inter net,ect,it is just like i said it feels slugish, thanks for your replys yama

RobCharles1981 13:21 01 Nov 07

What Antivirus and Spyware programs have you got installed?

Have you checked your inside of your case for dust and fluff if not you need to get a couple of aircans to blow it all out.

GaT7 13:30 01 Nov 07

Your overall PC spec is reasonably good for what you do & shouldn't be the cause of the slowdown - the way you're describing it anyway.

Can you be clearer with the PC's spec please, especially the amount of RAM? Also, let us know what programs are running at any given time/in the background, what antivirus you use, etc. Has it always been like this?

DieSse, whether having a dedicated GPU will make things faster for non-3d intensive PC tasks is very debatable. My neighbour & I have similar specced PC's. Her's has integrated graphics & I've a X800XT PE - there's no noticeable difference in everyday Windows tasks, browsing, etc. G

YAMA 14:26 04 Nov 07

Well thanks for helping , you ask about the ram ect, avg anti virus,--zonealarm---ad-ware se--Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)--2.60 gigahertz Intel Celeron
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
128 kilobyte secondary memory cache,--81.96 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
33.99 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-851S [CD-ROM drive]
LITEON CD-ROM LTN483L
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

Maxtor 6Y080M0 [Hard drive] (81.96 GB) -- drive 0---Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P4P800-VM Rev 1.xx
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 1008.008 10/31/2003---504 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM0' has 256 MB
Slot 'DIMM1' has 256 MB
Slot 'DIMM2' is Empty
Slot 'DIMM3' is Empty,--
i think thats is information you ask for enough,
cheers yama

100andthirty 15:58 04 Nov 07

Has it become more sluggish with time? or was it sudden?

I would check through the programmes that are loaded when the computer starts. You might want to look for some "msconfig" advice first - try here:

click here

do start - run - msconfig - OK and look in the start up tab. The second column may need stretching to the right to see what the entries are. untick any that you recognise and don't need. When you restart see if it's faster.

As you get courage, you might google the names of other things and see whether they're essential. Anti-virus, firewall and network adaptors can sometimes be here so you don't just want to untick them all. However they won't stop your computer from booting and you can always tick them again

DieSse 16:17 04 Nov 07

With 512 MB RAM and on-board intel graphics, your performance would get a boost with

A seperate AGP graphics card

More RAM

Your RAM plugged into slots 1 and 3 (the two Blue slots) - ONLY if they are matching modules. This board has dual channel RAM which you are not utilising unless you put matching modules into the correct positions (see your m/b manual - if you don't have one click here

A Pentium rather than a Celeron processor - it has more cache RAM which makes it work faster - and it will have Hyperthreading, which is also a performance boost.

However your system should not be too sluggish right now. You may get more out of it be using a Registry cleaner, and stopping as many processes from running as you can.

How many processes do you have running? - more than 50 is cause for investigation.

Also AVG is no speed demon amongst AV programs - look at getting the new eset security suite to replace AVG and Zone alarm - it has a much lower system overhead (but it's not free!).

In some ways it depends how much you want to spend

DieSse 16:18 04 Nov 07

PS - you do not need to defrag every week. Once a month is more than enough.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now