Best way to format & partition ext. hd?

MichelleC 09:18 25 May 03

I've got an 120 gb external hd linked via firewire. I need to format and divide into 3 @ 30gb each (approx, i know you lose about 1%). Partion magic can see drive but can't do anything, so I'll have to do it via dos. Can you talk me thro it.

-pops- 09:41 25 May 03

DOS is unable to see firewire so if you are unable to remove the drive and use its IDE connection you will have to do it through Windows.

If you're on XP you can format via Drive Management (RIGHT click My computer and click on Manage).

MichelleC 11:50 25 May 03

Thanks -pops-. I'm on w2k and have r-clicked drive 'I' and selected 'format' but nothing. Also no applications like NSW or the partioners can do anything to partition or format. It's probably a driver prob but I've troubleshooted every whichway. The annoying thing is I can copy to and from with os. I'll try the IDE route. Cheers.

-pops- 11:53 25 May 03

Have you tried right clicking My Computer rather than the drive itself?

MichelleC 12:59 25 May 03

Thanks -pops-, yes I tried that. I can get the option on internal hd's but not that 1. I think there's an error on hd which the only way to get rid of is to format. I'm afraid I'm not a hardware buff so not too sure how to link up on IDE. Is it the ribbon and just slot it in?

-pops- 13:24 25 May 03

All the external hard drives I've seen, no matter what the outward connection appears to be, are conventional IDE drives inside the fancy case.

My suggestion is to remove the drive from the case and set it up as the slave on the main IDE cable in your computer. You should then be able to format/partition as normal. You then put it back into its external enclosure.

I've done this myself several times with the exception that I assembled the external drive/case combination myself. That is, used an ordinary hard disk, formatted etc. as I've described then put it into a new USB or firewire case.

MichelleC 14:13 25 May 03

carlos 18:36 25 May 03

Know it's closed but, I got a 60Gb Lacie extHD( firewire). Got CD software with it ( SilverLining 98, if I recall)that got me up and running easily. Asked for partitions but I didn't want any. No software with your ext drive? Obviously, I didn't realise that there could be problems, hence my interest

MichelleC 09:12 26 May 03

No software with it. When I had 98 os win found driver and installed. Since upping to w2k had nothing but probs. Thanks for interest.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…