Best way to format HDD

Alan-Petrie 17:59 29 Sep 08

Hi I have a few old hard drives sitting around the house now that I have decided to get rid of.

So can anyone recomend a program for formating the hard drive and making information hard, if not impossible to get back.

Thanks Alan

Technotiger 18:01 29 Sep 08

Get a hard-drive USB Enclosure, then when connected just click on the drive and choose Format NTFS.

skidzy 18:01 29 Sep 08

Dban click here
Killdisk click here

or place the drives in a caddy and format them through your computer,but the above will make a better job of overwriting your old data.

Technotiger 18:03 29 Sep 08
  Alan-Petrie 18:03 29 Sep 08

I thought about just adding the drives into my pc case and formatting them with windows but I wasnt sure how secure this was so I thought best to ask here first. Thanks for the help so far.

DieSse 22:58 29 Sep 08

Killdisk (or DBan) is the way to go. This wipes all data from the drive by overwriting it with patterns. That's far better than formatting does.

Yes you can do them with your case connections if you wish. A tad less disruptive (but a tad more expense) to do them externally.

If you do get an external case (which is always useful for backing up afterward) - make sure you get the type with the correct internal connection (on old drives I would assume Parallel ATA)

Migwell 00:15 30 Sep 08

When I want to get rid of old small drives that are no use because of their small size I just open them up and smash the disk. NO chance of anyone reading them then.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5