Best way to format c:drive not using Windows XP?

matt-few 17:01 30 Sep 05

Re my earlier question about Raid drivers, I will have to reinstall windows xp as either had corrupt windows files or dying psu. The manufacturer was only interested in asking me to do a disk format and reinstallation.

If the problem is corrupt windows files, is there any other way / other software for formatting my hard drive other than the during windows xp setup from window cd?

Graham ® 17:03 30 Sep 05

To check the filing system, Start, Run, 'sfc /scannow', OK.

Formatting should be a last resort.

Yoda Knight 17:08 30 Sep 05

"is there any other way / other software for formatting my hard drive other than the during windows xp setup from window cd? "

YES

but as Graham ® said, you really want to leave that to a last resort...

GaT7 17:14 30 Sep 05

You could also try a repair-install click here, but a fresh install would be ideal - you'll have a system running like when it was new. If you do either, don't forget to back up first, & to install all the Windows updates just after.

"...is there any other way / other software for formatting my hard drive other than the during windows xp setup from window cd?" - You don't need any. Also, doing it the normal way is the most convenient. G

GRFT 07:04 01 Oct 05

The easiest (but not the quickest) way to format your hard drive is using a boot floppy containing the the DOS commands FDISK and FORMAT. Assuming you have an FD drive, of course. You wouldn't really have to use FDISK, but it's useful for checking how your C: drive is partitioned.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…