Best way to extend wifi coverage

willo500 23:42 26 Jan 08

Hi

I have a Netgear DG834G router through which a desktop Mac, a Dell desktop a couple of laptops and an X box at various times connect. The house is fairly large and I have the router connected to the phone line downstairs. The Mac is the furthest away and the signal is pretty varied. I have wondered about the best way to deal with this problem. I considered these ideas

1. Powerline ethernet through the electric cables, but am not sure this is compatible with the mac and also whether it would be reliable or not. I am also worried about power surges damaging my computer.

2. Adding some sort of device to sit somewhere in the house to boost the signal. I don't know much about this option

3. Upgrading my router to a more powerful one. I have heard this might give me little additional coverage.

Any advice is gratefully received

Thanks

Willie

ambra4 13:44 27 Jan 08

Look at these options

1 - If your router antenna can be removed look at replacing with a hi gain antenna

click here

2 – Install a Hi-Gain™ Wireless-G Range Extender

click here

3 - Check this posting

click here

You will have to upgrade the firmware in the Hi-Gain™ Wireless-G Range Extender to get the max range

willo500 16:24 27 Jan 08

Thanks I will investigate. I don't really know if my antenna can be removed or not. If so it looks like a good option

thanks again

willie

willo500 15:29 29 Jan 08

I have been advised ( by my missus!) to look at powerline solutions because she is s bit worried about wireless stuff in the home

I will keep my options open for the time being

Thanks

Willie

willo500 15:29 29 Jan 08

I have been advised ( by my missus!) to look at powerline solutions because she is s bit worried about wireless stuff in the home

I will keep my options open for the time being

Thanks

Willie

ambra4 03:49 30 Jan 08

Take a read here if you need to convince the missus (good luck)

How Safe Is Wifi Electromagnetic Radiation

click here

ambra4 12:06 01 Feb 08

Take a look at this unit it might solve your problem

Devolo MicroLink dLAN Highspeed Starter Kit

click here

willo500 14:44 13 Feb 08

Thanks Ambra I will do. Sorry to be so late saying thanks, but I've not been on for a bit

Willie

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos