Best way to extend range?

YinHoNg 14:08 03 Sep 06

I've got a main ADSL router (3Com OfficeConnect ADSL Wireless Router) which serves 2 desktop computers wirelessly. The problem is that there is a lot of walls in 'the line of sight' between the PCs and the router.

I'm thinking of extending the range by adding an additional access point to my network, which will be placed at a location closer to the two PCs.

The problem is that i have no idea how to do this, or indeed even what equipment i need to buy!

Can someone give me some advice?

ade.h 14:39 03 Sep 06

If you want a WAP, you could also use most cable/DSL routers and save a few quid. Wire it to main router.

Or MIMO might be able deal with your walls. Not making any promises.

ade.h 14:40 03 Sep 06

Or you could use a range extender if you have a point at which the signal to/from either endpoint location is good enough.

dms05 14:44 03 Sep 06

I have an additional Access Point added to my Network to achieve exactly what you want to do. You simply connect you existing Router to the new Access Point with standard LAN cable then set up to be on a different channel to your existing WiFi Router (chose Channels 1, 6 or 10 as they are far enough apart to not interfere). Use the same encryption key on both the original Router and the new AP - as well as the same SSID name. Your remote PC's will then chose the strongest signal and connect. I use laptops and can 'roam' between the two WiFi points without needing to reconnect.

YinHoNg 15:21 03 Sep 06

Hm. Well perhaps I was being naive. I was actually hoping that i could somehow add an additional access point wirelessly. My objective was to put the access point a floor above the router and I don't wanna drill any holes.

Any suggestion PC Advisors?

ade.h 15:59 03 Sep 06

"I was actually hoping that i could somehow add an additional access point wirelessly."

See my second post....

YinHoNg 16:06 03 Sep 06

ade.h: "You simply connect you existing Router to the new Access Point with standard LAN cable then".

Sorry i wasn't clear. What i meant was that I can't possibly connect my existing router with the new access point without drilling holes through my ceiling, which i don't want to do.

Hope this clears it up!

ade.h 16:08 03 Sep 06

Again, see my second post.....

ade.h 16:10 03 Sep 06

Such as this click here

YinHoNg 16:13 03 Sep 06

But i need my new access point to be on the floor ABOVE the existing router. So I can't just connect my router to my access point through a LAN cable. If i connected the two through a LAN cable, i would need to drill a hole through the ceiling.

YinHoNg 16:18 03 Sep 06

LOL. So sorry ade.h. I was reading the post from dms05. Sincerest apologies mate.

I'm looking into wireless extenders now. I've got a 3com router. Do you have any advice on a specific product to get?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…