best way to cut start-up files and programs

dennis$&$ 12:19 10 Jan 10

I need help to reduce the number of programs that at the moment cause my desk-top computer to take up to five minutes to start.I understand that msconfig is not the way to go.I am using XP home SP3,AMD two core cpu.I`d be grateful for all help :-) dennis.

MAJ 12:26 10 Jan 10

What makes you say "I understand that msconfig is not the way to go."? It is one way to go.

There's really very little that you need running at startup, so if you want to post a list of what you do have running at startup someone will advise what you can stop.

Forum Editor 12:28 10 Jan 10

is absolutely right - MSconfig is the way to do this.

gengiscant 12:31 10 Jan 10

have a look here,
click here

dennis$&$ 13:28 10 Jan 10

Thankyou both,MSconfig it is then !

awest3 16:46 10 Jan 10

Advanced systemcare 3 (from iobit) has, amongst other functionality, the ability to look at and edit the startup file. I use it once a week to check if anything new has creapt in and where required remove it...just by unticking the box..

its also free...using its functions you can clean up the PC and edit the startup file.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…