Best way to copy full hard drive to larger drive?

cyberphobic 21:40 29 Dec 03

My daughter's PC has an 8.4GB HDD which is almost full, I have bought a 20GB disk, which I have set up as the slave, to replace it, as I want to transfer everything across to that disk. Having studied this forum it seemed that Drive Image 7.0 would be the easiest solution, but I don't seem to be having much success as the PC now won't boot - something to do with the PQRE but it's all a bit beyond me! I have loaded XP PRO on to the new HDD, can I just drag across the programmes that I want and load any programmes that I have the disks for, or is it not that simple? All advice appreciated.

powerless 21:49 29 Dec 03

but I don't seem to be having much success as the PC now won't boot - something to do with the PQRE - Give some more details?

can I just drag across the programmes that I want and load any programmes that I have the disks for, or is it not that simple? - you would to reinstall programs.

powerless 21:49 29 Dec 03

you would need to reinstall programs.

cyberphobic 21:58 29 Dec 03

I downoaded the programme from the Powerquest (now Symantec)website for a free evaluation but apparently the programme wont do what I want it to because the "trial version" does not have PQRE which facilitates boot up. It does semi- boot, I get the black XP screen with the blue icon moving left to right, it then moves to a featureless two tone blue XP screen but doesn't progress from there.

powerless 22:05 29 Dec 03

You will have to buy DI7.

Peter 22:30 29 Dec 03

... or you could try Norton Ghost.

Peter.

johncampbell 22:44 29 Dec 03

the easy way

1. install the new hard drive as a second drive.
2. in windows copy over all the files (drag and drop),
3. then switch off,
4. move the new harddrive to be the main one,
5. take out the old drive
6. switch on.

DieSse 00:48 30 Dec 03

What OS is on the old drive, and what OS do you want to end up with on your new one - this is vital to give the best way to set up your new one

Derek 07:24 30 Dec 03

I do this regularly by using Norton Ghost. I suggest using the earlier versions 2000/2 since the latest is quite involved. Ghost can be reasonably priced and don't be afraid to get it without a book of instruction. The disc is well supported with help files.
You may feel that this is an expensive way to go about things but, once having bought it, you'll find it very usefull for securely backing up and file imaging.
It's a great product.

cyberphobic 08:03 30 Dec 03

Peter/Derek - thanks for the suggestion, I will give Ghost some serious consideration.
johncampbell - is it that easy? will I not need to reinstall some programmes using the original CDs if I can find them?
DieSse- Windows XP Pro is on the existing drive and that's would what I would like on the new one.

Jester2K 08:04 30 Dec 03

johncampbell - the easy way - How do you copy files in use then? Windows will stop you doing this.

Isn't there a way of doing this using XXCopy (Free) click here Clone is the function i'm thinking of but someone else will be better taking cyberphobic through it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…