Best way to check Hard Drive

aitch2 16:38 12 May 09

I suspect my laptop's hard drive is begining to expire. I have gone through Control Panel/ System/device manager/hardware, and they report that it is working properly, and there are no conflicts. When using several programmes (not all at once) the 'busy light' on the laptop is continuously steady, the programme seems to hang, and then I get the dialog box 'not responding'.
Running WinXp+SP3, with Windows firewall enabled and AVG 8.5. Computer/ software are up to date, and have just done scan with Spybot S & D, Malware/ CC/and AVG. All negative and computer clean. Any thing else I can try.
Thanks, Aitch

crosstrainer 16:41 12 May 09

It could be that your hdd is just badly fragmented.

Download and run:

click here

It's free. amd better than any Windows offering. Make sure you choose the correct version for your O/S

aitch2 16:52 12 May 09

Thanks for that I'll give it a try. As it happens I did a defrag a couple of weeks ago, and after the analysis, the degfrag didn't seem to give much of a gain.

brundle 17:00 12 May 09

The last thing you want to do to a drive you suspect is failing is to defrag it.
Check it with a manufacturer's diagnostic - find out drive make/model with this click here and visit the relevant website for diagnostics software.

aitch2 17:09 12 May 09

brundle; I've used 'Belarc' in the past. Is your link any better or more throrough?

Graphicool1 17:09 12 May 09

Try this...
Start>Run type...

regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

Press enter on the keyboard
(It re-registers your .dll files)

Graphicool1 17:11 12 May 09

pay attention to the space between '32 /' and i shell' etc

aitch2 17:14 12 May 09

Graphicool; I'll give it a try after tea, thanks,
Aitch

aitch2 18:21 12 May 09

graphicool; tried the suggestion as described, spacings correct. After pressing enter on the keyboard, dialog box tells me, 'shell.dll is not an executable file and no registartion helper is registered for this type of file'

??
Aitch

Graphicool1 18:46 12 May 09

How strange I run WinXP SP3 and I've not had any problems with it? I'll have to get my thinking cap on, in the meantime here is a link regarding it and a few other things... click here

aitch2 19:27 12 May 09

Graphicool; Thanks, i'll have a read and further it tomorrow
Aitch

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac