best way to boost wifi

mco 12:04 27 Aug 04

Hi. I've set up my laptop to connect wirelessly onto our bt broadband network. I put a wireless card into the BTmodem. Everything works - but - it's the old problem of poor signal strength in a solid brick Victorian house. For various reasons I can't change the location of the base station, nor can I go knocking brick walls down. What's the best thing I can buy to boost the signal (or is it just a lost cause when we're talking brick walls?) I've seen things advertised that look like antennae - but because I did wifi through a slot in card, where and how would I attach such a booster? Is there another type? Many thanks!

Graham ® 12:19 27 Aug 04

Would this work?

click here

Graham ® 12:20 27 Aug 04

Would this work?

click here

mco 14:48 27 Aug 04

I get what it's trying to do but the cardboard thingy has to go around your own antenna - well, my wifi set up doesn't have an

Graham ® 15:04 27 Aug 04

Yes, I realised that. But there will be an internal antenna, so you could place it near the modem. Other ideas on that site, such as placing a mirror to go round corners and bouncing off a garage door.

mco 15:08 27 Aug 04

oh I see! Sorry to sound thick! Well if I could just place it near the modem and try some of the other ideas, at least if it's only a tenner it's worth a try.

Graham ® 17:59 27 Aug 04

You could try some kitchen foil!

mco 18:32 27 Aug 04

I might just try that! - loads of people fiddle about with home made antennae; something to do in the holidays!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…