Best way of backing up externally using Acronis

Brumas 22:51 24 Nov 06

I suspect that I shall be getting an USB 40GB external hard drive for Christmas :o) I already have Acronis True Image 9.0 which incidentally I haven’t really used. The reason being that a lot of the posts on the forum seem to say; unless the backup is done to an external drive it is pretty pointless because if it failed all would be lost anyway (if I have understood correctly)

Now, I am not really a computer whiz as you all must know as I mostly ‘loiter with intent’ in the Speaker’s Corner, mainly because I haven’t sufficient expertise to help solve the problems here in the Help room. I ‘lurk’ around the Help room hoping to gain a little more knowledge which hopefully will enable me to avoid asking lots of silly questions resulting eventually in me becoming competent and confident enough to sort out myself phwew - is this the reverse of Hiding your Light under a Bushel ??

To get to the point of the post – will it be ‘relatively’ easy for me to backup the contents of my C Drive about 20GB’s worth and then backup weekly. I suspect only a couple of folders will change in that period e.g. the emails in outlook express and my wife’s ebay folder. At present I use Karen’s Replicator to save the aforesaid mentioned folders and burn them to CDR.

Yes, I know the instructions in Acronis will tell me how to, but hearing/reading how it is actually done by forum members may be a lot easier to take on board. I have used the search facility but I think it has left me a little confused.

woodchip 23:03 24 Nov 06

A Backup to another Partition is better than no Backup at all. I have them on External and on another Partition. After loading Acronis, Create a Rescue CD in Acronis. In the Menu. You can then Remove acronis and use the CD to create Backups and Recover if the Computer will not start from the Hard Drive

Brumas 09:11 25 Nov 06

Bump - for the day shift :o)

Technotiger 09:21 25 Nov 06

Hi, I used Acronis for the first time very recently - I just followed on-screen instructions to create an image of my entire C:/ drive to an external drive, I found it very easy (and I am no whiz-kid, being in my 70's). I also of course made a Rescue CD using Acronis instructions. It was quite painless :-))

Cheers

Brumas 10:35 25 Nov 06

woodchip & Technotiger
Thanks for that, it has put my mind to rest.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now