Best way to add memory?

Picklefactory 15:29 14 Oct 07

Hello folks.
I want to give my old system a bit of a boost, so thinking of throwing in some extra RAM for starters, but not entirely sure of best method. I'm running an Asus A7N8X-X with Athlon XP2600, XP SP2, currently with only 512Mb PC3200 SDRAM, I want to give best boost I can, but seem to remember when I built the thing that I should keep RAM even across slots, so would that rule out chucking a 1Gb stick in, alongside original 512?
Thanks

Technotiger 15:41 14 Oct 07

Run the scan at click here that will tell you just about all you need to know about RAM, particularly in relation to your own setup.

User-312386 15:50 14 Oct 07

Nothing will stop you putting a 1GB stick in at all, the board has 3 dimm slots as i recall

Just check the configuration in the MOBO manual

DieSse 15:58 14 Oct 07

The manual gives you no restrictions on what modules you should put where.

BUT - it does tell you to check on the ASUS site as to which DDR400 modules are qualified to run on this board.

The manual is easily gettable from the ASUS site, if'n you don't have one.

Picklefactory 16:09 14 Oct 07

Thanks folks
Technotiger - How did you know I already had Crucial on board??? :-)
DieSse - Thanks, I do have the manual, but didn't want to make any assumptions based on what it didn't say I couldn't do, your advice makes me feel safe and warm, though.
Thanks folks, all good info, I think I'll fling in a couple of Gb and see what happens.
Resolved

Technotiger 16:18 14 Oct 07

'tis all down to s-experience :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…