Best way to access internet on TV

GillH 17:21 11 Feb 14

Hi, forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere.. in a nutshell I live abroad and can no longer access UK channels via freesat due to a shift in satellites. I would like to get the 'net on the TV without tying up my laptop (also when using the laptop sites like filmon tend to buffer as the processor isn't up to much which is really irritating)

My question is which way to go? Tablet, dongle? I am not very techie so please keep replies idiot proof ;-)

Graphicool1 18:26 11 Feb 14

For a start would your TV be able to pick up the WWW if it were connected to a Broadband Router? In other words is it a Smart TV?

I have a Smart TV and I tried a dongle first. Although the router was only 20 feet from the TV, the reception wasn't what you might call brilliant. The reason being that there was a staircase between the two. I don't know why that should have made any difference. A fridge, wall yes, but a staircase?

Also with a dongle, you are always open to interference.

So then we plugged it in directly via an ethernet lead and it was fine. Well, that is as a TV it's fine. But as far as the Internet goes it's pretty much a washout. We tend to record all our programmes though a Freeview box and watch them at our leisure. For what it's worth, my point of view is that a Smart TV is smart in name only.

GillH 19:31 11 Feb 14

Hi, and thanks for your answer. Its not a Smart TV, what I've been doing is hooking up my laptop via HDMI but I'm fed up with that and am looking for a more permanent solution.

GillH 19:31 11 Feb 14

any advice re tablets especially appreciated!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…