Best value pro antivirus

toofy 09:16 19 Sep 08

Malwareremoval have just sorted pc for me. They were brilliant. Not being pc savvy I found the 'experience' exhausting.So am thinking of buying antivirus. I see Norton 2009 has not been reviewed yet. Is Norton 2008 @ £16.98 (approx) good value? (Don't like the way AVG advertise at £39.98 without telling you the backup CD costs another £8!!)

toofy 09:18 19 Sep 08

should have said I have Windows XP SP3. thanks.

jimv7 09:25 19 Sep 08

Try nod32 free 30 day trial if you must buy anti-virus.

click here

eedcam 12:31 19 Sep 08

I'd be more concerned its £39.99 for just one year .Also could you not make your own backup cd

rawprawn 12:35 19 Sep 08

Kaspersky, free if you happen to bank online with Barclays.

rawprawn 12:37 19 Sep 08

If not click here

splatter 13:57 19 Sep 08

Kaspersky is better than norton imho. Only because it (seems) to use a lot less resources than Norton. I know PC World HAD an offer of if you bought the 2008 version @ £29.99 you got a free upgrade to the 2009 version....don't know if they are still running it though.

brundle 14:13 19 Sep 08

I'm running NOD32 AV, Kaspersky AV and Avast on various machines. Little to choose between the two paid-for ones but I wouldn't pay for any of their competitors. Like many people I've come to dislike Norton due to its performance hit on all but the most powerful machines but the beta 2009 version I tried recently was un-noticeable in terms of its effect on performance, just like NOD/Kaspersky - that on a creaking 1Ghz 512mb Athlon too. The final version is available from Norton's website, but not out in the shops `in a box` as it were. You can pick up a 3 license version of Kaspersky AV or Internet Security 2009 for £25-30 on Amazon, and the licenses almost always cover a couple of updates (I mean, major program revisions) unlike Norton licenses - unless this click here reflects a change in their policy. Regardless of people's experiences with Norton in terms of PC performance, their VB100 results are usually pretty good. I'd still choose NOD or Kaspersky though.

toofy 16:15 20 Sep 08

About to go for the NOD32 suggestion but then have just read that novices have found it hard to set up. Is it appropriate for an OAP who is easily baffled by computer logic?

jimv7 16:23 20 Sep 08

yes, just leave it on default settings untill you have read about it.

Splodge 16:33 20 Sep 08

You can get Windows Live OneCare on a 90 day test!

I have found it great and bought it after the 3 months were up £37.99 pa. Go to this site!

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos