Best Value AMD CPU?

Gaz W 12:54 07 Sep 04

Can anyone tell me which is the best value budget Socket A AMD CPU at the moment? I realise that the new Sempron for skt A is a cut-down Athlon XP with less L2 cache, running at a 333MHz FSB. The Thoroughbred Athlon XP has a slower FSB and the same (256KB) L2 Cache for a similar price.

For the same clock speed they are similar in price (Athlon XP 2000+ and Sempron 2400+) - so I would be tempted by the Sempron...

is this the best idea?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Gaz

Gaz W 13:51 07 Sep 04

It's probably obvious really; I am definitely tempted to go for a Sempron and DDR 333 instead of an Athlon XP and DDR 266 as it's only £1 or so more in total. I just want to make sure I'm not making a big mistake...

For example, I know most Socket A boards should take it and detect it as an Athlon XP, but I still have to be sure the motherboard I'm getting would take it. It's an Elite 741GX-M which I think is OK. Can anyone on here tell me about this board? Should I avoid Elite motherboards or are they OK?

Gaz W 13:52 07 Sep 04

Shortly after posting that I found the board's specs on Elite's website and it does support the Sempron.

TomJerry 14:09 07 Sep 04

Around £66. It is mobile (Laptop/Notebook) CPU, but it can used for desktop.

Why it is the best value? Because this chip can be easily overclocked to equvalent to AMD ATHLON XP 3200 Barton (costs around £115) without additional effort on cooling if you want performace. If you use better cooling, it can be overclocked even further.

Advantage do not stop here; you can run it at default when you do not need extra performace/ In this case, the core voltage is low, less heat, less fan noise, so quiet machine.

Ready for game?

Gaz W 15:25 07 Sep 04

Not a bad idea, although it is straying a bit from the price range set. I might add it as an upgrade option though.

What I've always wondered is why they don't just make all of their processors like that!

I don't think I'll be able to take full advantage of that processor though on the motherboard I'm using, since it stops at 333MHz FSB and the 3200+ is 400MHz.

Just out of interest though, where would I buy the mobile processor?

TomJerry 18:45 07 Sep 04

and many more

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…