Best upgrade for Halo: CPU, RAM or graphics card?

May the Schwarz be with you... 00:46 02 Mar 04

Hi, my brother's PC has an AMD Duron 1.3Ghz CPU, 256MB PC133 SDRAM and a GeForce2 MX PCI graphics card with 32MB SDRAM. He has got Halo for it but it lags frequently, even on the lowest settings. I know this game is highly demanding but we only have a budget of about £50-60 so it's highly unlikely we will be buying more than one component.

Even if nothing will allow him to play Halo properly, or anything above 20fps on adaquate settings, which will provide the biggest boost in graphical performance? I will be getting a new CPU (a cheap Barton) and some 512MB PC2700 DDR RAM in a month or two and give him my AMD XP1700+ and 256MB PC2700 DDR RAM anyways.

So what would be the current best solution? I have noticed that the AMD XP Thoroughbred CPUs are selling cheaply at the moment. His motherboard cannot accept Bartons. If the price is just a quid or two above the £60 limit because of p&p, that's fine since I'll just cover that.

So then, any suggestions please?

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 01:10 02 Mar 04

Would go for a G card the MX card is a bit old for Halo as it needs DX9 and the MX card dosent support this also the card ram is low i would go for 1 with at least 128 ram on it 256 if you can afford it but they might be a bit out of your price budget.It should run ok with 1.3cpu but the faster the better system ram is a tad low but again should run ok if you turn everythin in the background off.

Regards.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 01:10 02 Mar 04

Would go for a G card the MX card is a bit old for Halo as it needs DX9 and the MX card dosent support this also the card ram is low i would go for 1 with at least 128 ram on it 256 if you can afford it but they might be a bit out of your price budget.It should run ok with 1.3cpu but the faster the better system ram is a tad low but again should run ok if you turn everythin in the background off.

Regards.

Well, my brother's motherboard is only AGP 4x compatible so would it still be worth upgrading the graphics card? Or isn't there much difference between 4x and 8x anyways? The fan on the current graphics card is also a bit weak at the moment and makes a buzzing noise sometimes.

Well, my brother's motherboard is only AGP 4x compatible so would it still be worth upgrading the graphics card? Or isn't there much difference between 4x and 8x anyways? The fan on the current graphics card is also a bit weak at the moment and makes a buzzing noise sometimes.

Btw, I can either get:

- AMD Athlon XP2400+ Thoroughbred 266Mhz CPU with heatsink/fan

- Hightech ATI Radeon 9600SE 128MB AGP 8X graphics card

- Crucial 512MB PC2700 DDR RAM

which would be the best bet, considering the motherboard is an ECS K7S5A?

Btw, I can either get:

- AMD Athlon XP2400+ Thoroughbred 266Mhz CPU with heatsink/fan

- Hightech ATI Radeon 9600SE 128MB AGP 8X graphics card

- Crucial 512MB PC2700 DDR RAM

which would be the best bet, considering the motherboard is an ECS K7S5A?

SumKindaMonster 14:03 02 Mar 04

id personally go for the radeon as that will give the most noticable performance increase.

Then if you can at a later date do for the processor

SumKindaMonster 14:03 02 Mar 04

id personally go for the radeon as that will give the most noticable performance increase.

Then if you can at a later date do for the processor

Then the memory Then a chip at a later date.

Then the memory Then a chip at a later date.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…