Best Uninstall Procedure ?

Tinkey Winkey 08:24 02 Oct 04

I'm uninstalling a list of programs in order to clean up my hard drive.

I just want to know should I really be rebooting after each individual uninstall so that the necassary registry changes take affect ?

Or is it 'safe' to uninstall them one after the other and just reeboot at the end ?

Perhaps it makes no differnce but I'd like to know please ?

Diodorus Siculus 08:28 02 Oct 04

It may not make any difference, but to be on the safe side, reboot after each uninstall. A little extra time now may save much time wasting later on trying to diagnose some obscure problem.

After the uninstall, run a good registry cleaner and then defrag the disk to tidy up a little.

Tinkey Winkey 08:48 02 Oct 04

Diodorus - thanks for you prompt response.

I've not used a reg cleaner before and the thought is somewhat nerve-wracking.

Can you suggest a Reg Cleaner for me ?

Are there any free one !

Using Win Me at the mo, but going to upgrade to XP this weekend hopefully.

georgemac 08:52 02 Oct 04

click here regscrub I use this & has been OK - remember to create retore point before using!

€dstowe 08:57 02 Oct 04

If possible, always use the uninstall facility provided with the program itself. This will remove parts that the Windows Add/Remove doesn't. May not be much but it will avoid at least some registry adjustments you may have to make and avoid messages like "some parts of the program could not removed - - -"

OK, it may take a bit longer doing it this way but as your aim is to clean up your hard drive, this is the better way to do it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…