best tune up?

paul1965 19:14 12 Apr 04

i've had all kinds of nasties in my system,ive run hijack this,adaware,bazooka,spywareblaster
spybot etc but still keep getting sluggish performance,programmes not responding etc
Is there a programme i can run which will find lurking nasties and tweak the system.
Im on windows 98

Nellie2 19:17 12 Apr 04

If you want a tune up then try click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:20 12 Apr 04

As usual I find format C: or using the restore disk the best way if there are many problems. I have just done this to a friends PC running ME and it took about an hour in total. You have to save any important info but post here if you want to go this route. Your computer will feel and act like new.

G

anon1 19:22 12 Apr 04

for windows 98 try either tweakui or visit click here You can find tweakui on those pages and a multitude of help for win98

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:26 12 Apr 04

All respect to the other respondents but if you have too many problems their advice will not help too much as your registry will be all over the place.

G

paul1965 19:29 12 Apr 04

how do i go about formatting c?
My friend did it for me once and it took him a week to get it working again.

paul1965 19:31 12 Apr 04

thanks for the other tips all the same,got plenty to be going on with now

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:15 12 Apr 04

Have you a restore disk or a full version OS disk? Whatever you have you will need to copy any important folders/programmes and ensure that you have all the relevant driver disks. You will need to save your emails and favourites and make a note of your email/internet settings. You will also need a 98 bootdisk, downloaded onto a floppy from click here

G

anon1 20:47 12 Apr 04

With respect to you also gandalf if you look at the lionk I posted you will find that it covers many aspects of windows 98 including a clean reinstall of windows without formatting among other methods. The site owner is a much respected authority on windows 98 check out the hits on his site and that is a fiarly new site too( he moved recently).

QQAA 21:17 12 Apr 04

over time is a computing issue which must not be taken lightly. download the now-disappeared (from the developer's homepage, i mean) freeware "Diskeeper 7.0 Lite Edition" from click here.

if you don't mind paying for a more feature-rich product, there is also the "Diskeeper 8.0 Professional Edition" (with boot-time defragmentation to handle system files, directories, and virtual memory) from the developer's website click here.

woodchip 21:38 12 Apr 04

Run MSCONFIG and turn background programs of that start with your computer you should see the boost in boot time first. Go to Start\Run type MSCONFIG press OK then go to startup tab and remove all bar System tray, Anti-Virus,Firewall. then reboot. you can replace the ticks if you find you need something to run at start

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5