best system restore

jimmer409? 19:02 09 Oct 03

Hi all, just had a serious boot up problem, finally sorted it, restored to an earlier date using xp restore, don't know why i had the boot problem, using the computer as normal last night, shut down normal, this morning it would not reboot???? Is there any way to create a floppy rescue for xp? also have roxio go back as part of my norton system works, should i load it and disable xp restore (if so how do i disable) any help greatly appreciated.

spikeychris 19:17 09 Oct 03

How did you use SR when the machine would not boot?

You could do this...

Turn on the computer, and press the 'f8' key to get to the XP boot menu.

Choose "Safe mode with command prompt". The system will ask you to choose the OS. It will say Windows XP Professional/home

Press 'enter'.

At the command prompt, type the following EXACTLY as I have it written here:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Press 'enter'.

The system restore console will appear. You will only have the choice to return to an early configuration. Perform the system restore to a time when all was well.

To turn off SR..

Click Start.

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

Click the System Restore tab.
Select "Turn off System Restore" or "Turn off System Restore on all drives" check box.

Chris

goonerbill 08:56 10 Oct 03

i would install goback as well. have winxp sys restore and goback running on my pc. double the protection on any problems.

have found system restore to be a bit unreliable.

Jester2K II 09:01 10 Oct 03

Ditch SR and use Goback. GoBack does what SR does and so much more. Why have SR hogging disk space and process time when Goback does it all anyway?

Best £30 i ever spent on the PC was GoBack 3 Deluxe.

anchor 09:50 10 Oct 03

I endorse Jester 2K II comments about GoBack 3; would not be without it.

I understand a startup floppy for XP is not practical, but a CD floppy is; (ensure that you CD drive is selected as 1st boot).

For XP-Home the download site is

click here

There is also a different one for XP-Pro

click here

Jester2K II 09:53 10 Oct 03

Right click My Computer, System Restore tab, Check Turn Off System Restore

spikeychris 12:56 10 Oct 03

Jester me thinks your annual visit to the opticians is due...

Jester2K II 13:49 10 Oct 03

No. I think you've caught invisibilty from Powerless.

Consider myself slapped...

jimmer409? 19:44 10 Oct 03

anchor, thanks, how do i select cd drive as first boot and deselect floppy drive, just can't seem to remember at the moment. also can you use both incase one or the other fails??

jimmer409? 19:53 10 Oct 03

spikeychris, in reply to our first entry, i could do nothing, could not even get into safe mode, this crash happened the day after i had downloaded some attachments from one of my company suppliers and than sent the files to floppys, as stated all fine, carried on surfing, shut down, no problems, next morning bang, no reboot, finally borrowed a restore cd from a friend and somehow got into safe mode without a total restore, from safe restored to pre-event and now everything seems okay, still a total mystery to me, ran norton system check, and all other maintenance uts. no clues???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…