Best storage

cass27 23:06 14 Jun 03

I do a lot of writing and thought I would store my manuscript on cd-rom. Nice and safe, compact size. However when I go into it to change certain parts (as I should have realised) I am told thatit cannot be changed it is read only. If I wish to store stuff as big as this and which I am likely to want to change is there a more cionvenient way to store other than millions of floppy discs?

VoG® 23:07 14 Jun 03

Zip drive click here

jazzypop 23:21 14 Jun 03

You have a wide range of options, depending on your needs, expertise, amount of data and size of wallet.

A few examples -

Use rewriteable CDs (CD-RW)

Use a USB 'flash memory' storage device - from 32MB to 1GB+

Zip drives, as VoG® says

An external hard drive (Firewire or USB2 by choice)

Tape drive

A second internal hard drive

And so on ....

cass27 23:31 14 Jun 03

thanx thats useful. would I be able to change one document on a Cd rewritable without affecting the other docs? Is the thing you stick in a zip drive just like a big floppy (in otherwords it isnt read only? Where would I find more imfo about flash memory devices?

ton 23:37 14 Jun 03

Cheap flash memory at click here

Use a USB connected card reader, the card will then appear on the PC like any other drive. Read and write same as HD.

ton 23:40 14 Jun 03

See also:

click here

jazzypop 23:42 14 Jun 03

click here for a selection of USB flash meory devices. I have no idea about this supplier's prices, reliabiility etc - it was just the first page I found with a decent selection.

CD-RW effectively acts like a giant floppy (in terms of storage capacity), and is read-write. It is slightly less reliable than CD-R (CD-R = record only, CD-RW = Read & Write).

Pesala 23:53 14 Jun 03

I am familiar with the problem, as I also do a lot of writing. You many minor corrections, and it takes a lot of time and effort. You want your backups to be the latest copy you finished working on this morning, not one that is a week or a month old.

CD-RW disks are very convenient for this, as it is very quick, but they have one serious drawback - they fail quite regularly after a few months of constant use. This is not a problem if you have two or three copies, and rotate them regularly. When they start to fail, chuck them out and start a new disk. (They only cost about £1 each). CD-Rs are cheaper and more stable, but no use for stuff that goes through changes.

For Zip Drives and Media: click here A zip drive is like a hard disk. A USB drive can be unplugged and stored in a safe place away from the PC or carried away to work on another PC, just like a CD-RW or CD-R, but is slightly more bulky.

For Flash Drives: click here These are tiny, but still a lot more expensive per Mbyte than CD-RW disks.

wee eddie 07:25 15 Jun 03

Spend Nothing. What you have is Perfectly Adequate.

What you need to do is:-

Say your current manuscript is stored as Manuscript 001.

When you wish to make changes reload it to your HDD.

Make the changes!

Store as:- Manuscript 002

The advantage of this system is that you have copies of the original and every version that you have rewritten, should you wish to reconsider the amendment. Lets hope that they will prove to be as valuable as the Bronte's first drafts.

cass27 11:00 15 Jun 03

Thanx people I'll get my head round these ideas and make a choice - and when I sell my first blockbuster i'll send you all a signed copy(now I really am dreaming). JK Rowling eat your heart out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…