Best Solution for 5.1 sound from PC through audio system

C3 01:00 AM 08 May 11

The Problem : I need to get 5.1 Audio from my PC to my DVD 5.1 System.

I currently have the audio coming through the HDMI to the TV, then Digital Optical to the DVD 5.1 system. This doesn't give me 5.1, only stereo. There is only a standard Stereo output on the onboard audio which I currently have switched off in the BIOS.

So I need a very inexpensive PCI Audio Card which will allow 5.1 playback using Digital Optical cables. I have tried an ASUS Xonar DG, which has the Digital Optical out, but doesn't have the built in codecs to output in 5.1, only stereo.

Current Spec : Intel Core 2 Duo E6320 @ 1.86GHz Intel D946GZIS 2.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 332MHz ASUS NVIDIA GeForce 210 Win7 64bit SP1

C3 18:19 PM 08 May 11

I encode my DVDs so I don't have to keep playing around with the media all the time and play them directly off the hard drive, so most of them have the 5.1 PCM sound intact. From reading everything I could find regarding the DG Card, it will NOT decode Dolby Digital or DTS so all PCM sound is in Stereo only, not 5.1. When I played it, I only got the surround channels in stereo, not even the main sound.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

See immersive artist and storyteller Chris Milk speak at London VR event

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…