Best software to use for computer inventory?

jonargent 19:08 10 Sep 08

Hi,

I'm starting to get a large collection of computer components, as I do a lot of repairs / system building for people, but was wondering what would be the best software to use to keep track of it all? I also have 4 systems in the house for various people I take care of, and would like to be able to keep track of what parts are in what one at any given time... Is there anything suitable out there? I'm currently using an Excel spreadsheet!

Thanks

csqwared 19:23 10 Sep 08

It seems to me that the best software tu ose would be a database and the best of those (IMHO) would be MS Access, the downside being that it has a very a steep learning curve. I suppose you could do worse than look at the 'Downloads' page of PCA Advisor under Office/Database and see if there is an easier option there which suits your requirement.

cc

DieSse 00:31 11 Sep 08

Inventory for a system - Belarc - it gives you a pretty full run-down of both hardware and software, including serial numbers - and a nice printout. Be sure ti keep the program updated.

click here

For loose stuff Excel is probably better than a database - you already know it for a start - and it's easily sortable if you choose the columns correctly. Superior to Access for this sort of use I would suspect - and milers simpler to learn and use.

golfpro 10:17 11 Sep 08

Open Office.org include something very similar to excel in their program and its free to download.

jonargent 23:39 11 Sep 08

The excel spreadsheet is good, but its getting full, and not not as flexible as an access database would be... And I suck at coding! I've had a look round google, and like the look of things like imagic inventory, but would like to find freeware versions..

DieSse 00:56 12 Sep 08

"I'm starting to get a large collection of computer components"

Personally I would advise against carrying stock (other than a bare minimum). Parts become outdated too quickly both on spec and cost for that.

When I did something similar, I only ordered to build - with a few critical spares for repairs and troubleshooting - and that was in Spain. You're probably able to get items very quickly if you're in the UK.

Now I've pretty much retired, and find a friendly local computer shop better than a wholesaler for odds and ends of spares (no transport costs!) and there's so little margin anyway, I prefer to make my money on the labour/expertise.

FatboySlim71 09:18 12 Sep 08

I use Microsoft Excel which is included with my Office 2007 package.

I find it easy to use and does a good job at cataloging my photo collection.

I can highly recommend Microsoft Excel.

Belatucadrus 10:46 12 Sep 08

click here
Inventory Manager Lite may be worth a look.

kalignorgna 11:06 12 Sep 08

I would say that Access is better for stuff like that as it will auto barcode/number ur stock also you can use drop down options like mobo and so on when inputing a new pc or changing parts. stock count of how many u have don't matter wich u use be it Access or excel as they do the same job but for more options and overall usabillity i would use Access over excel

Woolwell 13:16 12 Sep 08

Excel is a flat database and should meet the needs for an inventory of parts. Access is a relational database. If you wish to relate parts to customers or multiple parts to a system then Access may be the way to go albeit at a price. Alternatively you could have a look at Base part of OpenOffice.

crosstrainer 14:46 12 Sep 08

In Open Office is much underated, and very powerful, not to mention free...Still a learning curve though :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5