Best software for logo creation?

STEVE71163 11:51 26 Oct 03

Can someone tell me what software i need to create logos? At the moment i have Frontpage 2003 and Photoshop 7. Can i create logos in photoshop?

Many Thanks

Pesala 12:08 26 Oct 03

I guess it depends what effects you are looking for. I would be inclined to use a Vector Drawing program like Corel Draw. You could also try Serif Pageplus 5.0 from click here. It includes a copy of Logo Plus, an OLE mini application for creating logos.

The software is completely free. You have to provide your email and name, etc., but you can unsubscribe from the advertising if you don't want it. The Serif Forum click here is a good place to get advice on using their programs. You don't have to purchase any Serif Software to join it.

Forum Editor 12:51 26 Oct 03

is simply a graphics file - usually saved as a .gif

You can create a logo in any application that allows you to create files in that format. FrontPage 2003 isn't going to be any good, but Photoshop certainly is. Another excellent program for this kind of thing is PaintShop Pro, or there's Ulead PhotoImpact, which I use almost daily. PhotoImpact hasn't had the publicity it deserves - it's ideal for photo-manipulation and graphics work, it has hundreds of button sets, and just about everything you could need for web graphics.

click here to take a look.

STEVE71163 13:11 26 Oct 03

Thanks Pesala and FE,
If photoshop 7 can do graphics i would like to use this as i could keep buying more and more sofware that i would very rarely use.

Taran 13:18 26 Oct 03

Ditto to Forum Editor.

Ulead PhotoImpact has to be one of the most underrated apps out there for graphics. It offers more features than you can shake a stick at (with lots of web specific bells and whistles) for next to no cost and I'm a very big fan.

But, back to the task at hand, rather than type out an entire walkthrough, go to the mighty Google and use these search queries (including the quote marks):

"create a logo"+"photoshop"+tutorial

Similar word combination will bring loads of useful How To type articles, but you'll also get lots of commercial links mixed in there so be warned.

Three links to get you going with Photoshop:

click here

click here

click here

The first link is superb. If you click on the top left menu button on the VoidIX site and select Photoshop there are some excellent walkthrough step-by-step articles that are bang up to date.

Taran 13:22 26 Oct 03

If you look in the Photoshop help files and click on the "Preparing graphics for the web" link, there is a pretty good pverview of lots of common web graphics tasks using Photoshop including layers, image slicing and similar.

Steve71163 13:23 26 Oct 03

Thanks Taran,
When i bought photoshop i understood that it had a steep learning curve but i did not realise that it would be as difficult as it is.

Thanks again!

Taran 16:41 26 Oct 03

Photoshop is undeniably complicated to use and this, I think, works against it.

It may be the market leading graphics application, but you require training to get the most out of it, not to mention deep pockets.

If you have the time to devote to it though, you can achieve outstanding results.

Le us know how you come along with it.

STEVE71163 16:34 02 Nov 03

Is photo impact easier to work with than photoshop?

Forum Editor 17:57 02 Nov 03

Why don't you try the free 30 trial download of the latest version - PhotoImpact XL?

I'm fairly sure you'll like it
click here and try it.

STEVE71163 20:14 03 Nov 03

I have got photo impact 8 comming as part of a hosting package. Is this just the older version of XL?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…